Do you really need to clean a piggy's penis?

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:02 pm

I have read on here a few times of people cleaning their boars penis. Is this truly necessary? I would think they were meant to clean on their own. Please enlighten me!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Oh yes.

Pigs live close to the ground, and boars tend to "scent mark" by dragging their butts in their litter. They pick up shavings, dirt, potentially hair or other material all over their undercarriage, including penis and anus. They also get a lot of smegma, and you need to clean that or they can get infections on their shaft or on the penis. Ouch!

Most male animals need their penis cleaned from time-to-time. Drop in on the horse care thread (in General Chat) for posts on sheath-cleaning!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm

You need to check for impactions too.

They are not able to clean themselves really.

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Oh wow, I had no clue. I feel bad that I didn't know this! I have a male kitty also and never touch his penis. Yeesh, I wish I had known to clean my piggy there. Is there a place on here that shows exactly how to clean a piggy's penis so I don't harm him?

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm

I just read about cleaning their grease gland, also. I had no clue about these things. Man!

Hunybee

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm

I've been wondering about that myself. I watched the vet clean Jasper, but I have to clean nikka and he's not very cooperative. I don't usually have anyone to help me. How do some of you do this?

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Make sure to clean the grease gland too.

I would love to watch someone try to clean a cat's penis. Ha!

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 pm

sus4rabbitsnpigs Cosmo is very young and seems to poop a crazy amount. This would be done only if he was not pooping much, right?

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Ya, that's what I was thinking. I would be a bloody mess after trying that trick on my kitty. lol

So to clean the grease gland, you can use Dawn dishsoap? You just use a wet, soapy cloth and rub it clean? What is the grease gland for anyways?

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:42 pm

I have coconut oil to clean the grease gland. I think here it says Dawn is used by some, but you have to make sure you get all of it off.

clairey

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Even if Cosmo is pooping fine, he will have collected all sorts of gunk in there. I find clumps of hair, bedding, hay, even little pieces of food.

I have great difficulty in extruding the penis though. I must be pressing the wrong place and making it more difficult than necessary.

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Oh ok, so for checking if his bum is clean, do you just kind of push around his anus, to see if anything comes out or what? I know I sound so dumb. Sorry.

Ya, I am not sure how to extract the penis.