Do you really need to clean a piggy's penis?

govikes98

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Wow. I had no idea I needed to clean their penis. Looks like we're in for fun times this weekend at nail trimming.

twopiggiehouse

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Boar Glue was one of the main deciding factors in me getting female pigs. Seriously. I read this site for a few weeks and my decision was made. However, I agree with rshevin, there is always a flip side to the coin :) And, my girl's flying pee is a little treat I didn't expect either.

lilbitorange

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 pm

lol this thread is too funny! What should we be using to clean down there with? I usually just wipe off the penis with a tissue, but im thinking maybe a cotton bud with some warm water would be better?

Hunybee

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:14 pm

I watched my vet tackle Jasper. We had him on his back on a pillow, maybe he was a little too comfortable. She used a gauze and some mineral oil and started tugging and wiping. He screamed the whole time.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 pm

I use a wet washcloth. You can use the mineral oil to coat it and make things slide back more easily. If the skin is irritated I do use the mineral oil to help soothe things.

Oh man, this is all over the Boars Behaving Badly thread too. If you really want to be grossed out, you can spend a few hours reading all 20 or so pages. :P

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Moonfall, in regards to sow bits, I actually had to wash Sleigh-Belle's a few days ago because she got them all nasty somehow, thankfully she wasn't too terribly upset, but I also didn't stick her in the small tub of water either. Usually my girls don't have a problem with nasty bits, it's usually just Mocha and Alistair when they occasionally get nasty bums (I can only trim the fur so close to their skin) because they're long haired in the back (and Mocha in the front and sides as well).

AldenM1, I know, I was not aware of all of this when I first started looking at adopting a boar (I'm a total sucker for sad shelter cavy stories and he looked like he was knocking on death's door in his petfinder picture), but I quickly learned and was horrified. Once we got used to it, checking for and clearing out impactions and all that happy stuff just got routine and it doesn't really bother us so much anymore, although we still can't get used to the smell of the impaction when it comes out.

With boars you get the risk of impactions, really bad adolescent and pubescent attitudes towards cavies in many cases, boar stank, humping, boar glue and penis cleanings. With sows you get heat cycles (usually involving aggression, dominance or humping of cage mates), the risk of ovarian cysts and uterine infections. They both come with their own lack of pleasantries unless you're lucky.

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Oh gosh, I so need a video. AldenM1, I don't get it. What do you PULL on? Does your boar's penis just always hang out? lol All I see on Cosmo, is a tiny little button of skin, no penis. If I pulled on that piece of skin, I can't imagine his penis would be like, "oh here I am!" Or am I wrong? I also don't get just how far to go in with a q-tip to clean his anus. And the boar glue, I thought that was on the bottom of their back. Like where it looks like Cosmo has a butt crack. I am wrong?

8ball

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Regards cleaning sow's bits.... I have to bathe Pudding sometimes expressly to clean her genitals. She's 6 and isn't as flexible as she used to be, so has problems keeping herself clean there. It's not so bad, I let her soak for a few minutes in warm water and then rub gently with a sponge and very dilute Hibiscrub (I was recommended to do this by the vet). The first time I raised concerns about it the vet cleaned her with cotton buds. I couldn't get the horrible smell of Puddings discharge out of my sinuses all day!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:11 pm

No, no, don't pull on the penis! I pull the foreskin-equivalent BACK towards me. Don't hurt the piggy!! :)

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Oh good golly. When you said you PULL on your boy's bits, I was thinking pull as in yank and thought my gosh, that's awfully mean sounding! lol Glad you clarified!

liland

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Oh this is so gross. I think I'm going to have to check out those pictures in the guide again, I'm not sure I'm cleaning Chiral's bum properly. From the pictures, it looks like the sac (I think) gets turned inside out, so it actually comes out of the body? Is that right?

And what do you do when the angry nips start coming and you havent put your pig in the right way again?!

At least I've worked out how to make the penis fully visible, that's comlex until you get it the first time. Havent had to clean it, Chiral takes care of that himself (frequently, and out in the open). He has no shame. No bloar glue on any fur though :)

jedifreac

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Last year I helped rescue a boar from a local shelter and we learned he was on tapeworm meds. Guinea pigs usually don't get tapeworm, so I think what happened is the vet saw a boar glue "worm" next to poops and drew a wrong conclusion.