Do you really need to clean a piggy's penis?

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Our camera isn't the greatest quality for videos, but hopefully these will help somewhat.

First is Apollo getting his sac cleaned with the hold I usually use (wrapped in a towel, his head tucked into my elbow and his butt in my hand):

Next is Hermes demonstrating the turn the piggy over and rest his back against your stomach hold. Sorry my hands are in the way. It wasn't the best angle to film this from (I'm not used to cleaning sacs for an audience).

Hermes and Apollo are both about 5 years old. Like I mentioned before, they've never been impacted. This was just the usual monthly maintenance cleaning. The material that comes out is mostly just bits of hair or hay with some smegma (or something) mixed in.

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Ohhhh thank you so much for the videos!

First I have the say....you are SO cute! "Hello.....time to clean your butt." hee hee I laughed so hard at your matter of fact voice while saying it, too.

Great videos. It helped a ton!!! So you said you soaked the q tips in mineral oil, right? I want to make sure I heard it right.

I am going to clean Cosmo tonight when the kid's are in bed. Otherwise they will be asking what I am hurting Cosmo for and freaking out.

Now we need someone to post a penis cleaning video, then we are SET! :)

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Yes, the q-tips were soaked, dipped really, in mineral oil. Pure, unadulterated, unscented, mineral oil. I think there's a different name for it in the UK but I don't remember what that name is.

You'll have to find someone else to film the penis cleaning videos. This was all I could convince my husband to help film.

ETA: Butt cleaning is very matter-of-fact! "I know you don't like this, but too bad. It's time to clean your butt."

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Oh don't worry I wasn't hinting for you to post the penis cleaning video. Heaven knows you helped us tons already!!! I appreciate it immensely!

Yes, I just loved your intro to doing it. So cute. lol

Calvin + Hobes

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Great job!! I feel like such a fool since I've been trying to do the boys without the towel. I should have thought about wrapping them up. Maybe with that trick I can get it done...finally. Thank you!!

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Oh gosh. I just cleaned Cosmo's sac and he was so upset. He was fighting me so much and was breathing really fast and heavy. I think I stressed him out. Poor baby. he's really mad at me now. :(

It REALLY stunk though. Oh my!!! No impaction or any poop. There was a bit of hair though and some of that smegma or something yellowy/cream colored. So, he's nice and clean down there.

Once again, I couldn't get his penis out. I think it will have to wait until he's older? I dunno.

Thanks again for the video, Brimstone. I made me confident enough to do it. Hopefully, next time he won't fight so hard. I feel so badly.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Those videos are wonderful, thank you. I would really like to see someone do a similar video of an impaction, if this gets made sticky and/or preserved somehow. But that's a huge help.

Sunshine_Kenya, I can't get Snickers's penis to come out very far either. All I can tell you is it was SO easy with Charlie, and he was SO dirty, that I'm just assuming Snickers is fine up in there. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:29 pm

In the UK it's called liquid parafin (instead of mineral oil).

Excellent videos! Especially the important part at the end of the first video :-)

I imagine it is important that room temperature is low or medium - not overly hot as it could be in the summer - so the guinea pig does not get overheated being wrapped.

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Great vids. I too really like the part you called the important part. :)

jedifreac

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm

The last time I cleaned a boar out--he was young though, so no impaction-- I lifted him up to eye level so I could get a better look...

and he farted in my face. That was wonderful.

Also, the boars I fostered sometimes get their hair caught in their prepuce? (Probably from walking on their hair, or from humping?) so just keep an eye out for that and gently remove if you see it.

Sunshine_Kenya

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 pm

omg, lol. He was probably like, "That'll teach you!"

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:28 am

Those videos are awesome. Piggies are getting cleaned out tonight. They just don't know it yet.