Hemangiosarcoma

Post Reply
kodomo122

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:41 am


I posted a question on CavyMadness a little while back re: non healing leison on my piggy´s belly. I had it operated on. It was removed by my vet. The path results show he has/d a Hermangioma sarcoma? I am told that the borders look good.

Any idea how this type of tumor behaves in gp´s? I was told his prognosis cautiously optimistic and also that is it is fast moving agressive malignent tumor. I understsand it is most often found on livers and spleens and we were sort of lucky that it was visable and we had it removed.

I am wondering what I might expect in the weeks and months to come. I am sure to be learing a lot though

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.


EDIT -- Just checked him and the inscion site is beginning to swell and get red. called vet. they are closed tomorrow. Wouldn´t ya figure. any comments there? Although I feel that Batryl might be more effective, I have some bactrim that i could start him on to be pro-active against an infectiion. Any thoughts?

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:56 am


Could you see the vet today? I don´t know if this would qualify as an abscess but it may need to be opened, drained and flushed to promote healing. My guess is your vet would use baytril over bactrim but it does depend on what bacteria is present. I don´t know anything about malignant tumors -- your vet might be able to tell if it is regrowing.

Josephine may have experience with them -- she checks in once and a while. I don´t know if Pinta has ever had a malignant tumor. Meanwhile, I would try to get in to see the vet today, if possible.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:05 am


I´d go with the baytril. But if it´s starting to swell, you need to get him into another vet. There could be an abscess starting. His wound might require cleaning out. Belly wounds are always at high risk of contamination from urine and feces. Bedding him on clean white(to track leakage) towels will help. Cleaning it several times a day will help. Your vet should have a cleaning solution already prepared to let you use. In the past I´ve been given Chlorhexidine 0.08% DEM antiseptic to flush wounds with. I don´t know if it´s the appropriate antiseptic to use in this case. I´ve also used a diluted solution of Hibitane and water(not to flush, just to clean) but have been told to make sure the solution is carefully rinsed off with clean water. Make sure the incision site is dried after cleaning and try to keep it dry.

If he does have an infection another vet might want to give him a baytril injection(higher dose and longer lasting) and a subcue hydration treatment if he´s dehydrated.

Was he put on antibiotics to start with? Did the vet rig up a "sweater" to protect the wound? I once sent Lynx a pic of Tiramissou wearing one after her spay. If Lynx still has it she could maybe post it.

I´m not familiar with Hermangioma sarcoma. Josephine might be.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:28 am


My old email is a mess. I´m not sure I could lay my hands on it. If you still have it, I encourage you to mail it to me again or post here.
----------------------
P.S.I found the picture. This is what Pinta was talking about:
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:06 pm


It´s hemangiosarcoma, I believe. Blood involvement/based tumor. Did the vet give any explanation for the odd location of the tumor? Have any other diagnostics been done to rule out metastasis (such as bloodwork, xrays, and ultrasound)? The clean margins are a good thing in getting rid of the tumor, but it may have spread. It is not a common tumor in cavies and its location bothers me. If it has spread, there may be things like steroids or pain meds that you can use to make your pig more comfortable.

I would certainly get that incision looked at ASAP. Tumors can be tricky and cavies are prone to post surgical abscesses if not kept on appropriate antibiotics. The sooner it is treated, the better the chances for a speedy recovery.
Last edited by Josephine on Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kodomo122

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:03 pm


Yes. Josephine. I believe you are correct. It is hermangio sarcoma. I will see the vet tomorrow re: insicion and hopefully she will have spoken to the oncologist. I appreciate your thoughts on options re: steroids etc.

I am so mad at myself for leaving without the antibiotic. I had insisted on my other pig surgery. ( cyst removal) but I guess I got a little overwhelmed when she told me re: the blood supply it had attached and all.

I will let you know. Thank you again!

Paula

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:31 pm


Personally I wouldn´t wait til tomorrow. Most animal vets would be able to tell if an abscess was forming. The sooner you take action the better the prognosis.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:04 pm


I meant without the "r." H-e-m-angiosarcoma.
Last edited by Josephine on Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:07 pm


That´s what I thought you meant. I think I can even edit the title. I´ll see if I can take out the "r" (it helps down the line -- at least for me).

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:09 pm


Thanks!

Post Reply
10 posts • Page 1 of 1