Baxter's med thread

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Horray for good news! Keep getting better guys.

zazzified

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Baxter has been relatively uninterested in food for about 24 hours now. I just found him having what seemed like some kind of weird seizure. He was standing, and it was like he was lurching forward, as if he would be gagging or throwing up. That kind of motion. But he wasn't doing anything with his mouth at all, just the bodily movement. I rushed over and pet him and he was aware of my presence. After petting him some he laid down. He's alert and did not let me pick him up easily. I gave them their dinner just a few minutes ago but he hasn't eaten any yet and he hasn't eaten anything in the half hour I've been sitting here so it doesn't seem like choking. Any ideas? It was really scary to watch and I was honestly afraid he was dying right in front of me.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 pm

We've had several do a "heaving-kakking" thing (sometimes two or three times in a row) that will scare the 400 Lord holy Moses daylights out of you. But then they're fine, and look at you like "what's the problem"?

I'd be more concerned about his lack of interest in food. Wondering if he has something caught in his throat (sounds stupid, I know) that's preventing him eating? Perhaps he was trying to 'heave-kakk' something up, given that they don't have a gag reflex and cannot vomit?

zazzified

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:27 pm

He can eat, because he'll do it here and there. If I put a pile of hay in front of him, he'll come out and munch on it. He looks at me like I'm crazy if I give him lettuce sometimes, but if I put it in front of his face half an hour later he'll halfheartedly have some. He was also happy to take 7 ccs of Pedialyte from a syringe before he got sick of it. He's definitely able to eat all of his various types of food, he's just not enthusiastic about it like he normally is so that is a huge concern.

He hasn't lost much in the way of weight - only about 15 grams in a week, so it could easily be a normal fluctuation.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Or ... you have nothing else to do but run to the vet, right? :-(

It's the "not enthusiastic like he normally is" that worries me. Good that he's only lost 15 g in a week or so ... that is normal fluctuation and at least he isn't dropping like a stone (at least not yet).

zazzified

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeah, it worries me too. Thankfully I have tomorrow off for the holiday.

Jeeves, meanwhile, gained 80 grams in two days. I feel like my pigs are messing with me.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:21 am

The pigs just got their breakfast veggies and Baxter was out of his hut waiting for me when I came back into the room, and started chowing down as soon as the veggies hit the cage. Fingers crossed!

Brenda B

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:20 pm

Yay! Maybe he was off because Jeeves is not feeling well? I just had a gerbil die and three days later his buddy died. They were so bonded that they even drank form the water bottle at the same time. he just lost the will to live. I think sometimes our little critters worry about thier freinds.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:38 pm

"I feel like my pigs are messing with me."

Been there. Empathize. <primal scream>

zazzified

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Baxter's eye is red and squinty this evening. I have meloxicam available, as always, because I forever have a sick or injured pig. I gave him that already (which was a breeze because he always tries to steal meds from Jeeves, so he grabbed the syringe and took it willingly while standing in the cage). Anything else I should do in the meantime? I am planning to turn down the lights in here because I don't know about him, but my eyes are very light sensitive when they're injured. Tomorrow I will see how he's doing and call the vet about getting ointment.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Do you have any opthalmic drops (Gentamicin, Tobramycin)? If not, a drop of something like sterile saline or GenTeal drops may make him more comfortable.

Turning down the lights is an excellent idea (and recommended by one of our best and oldest vets).

zazzified

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:59 am

Unfortunately I don't have any drops like that, so saline it is. The meloxicam helped him quite a bit last night, but his eye was still puffy and red and tearing up, so he has an appointment tonight at 9 pm. Talk about extended hours!