Aminophylline (Theophylline, Theo-Dur, etc.)

pinta

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:55 am

The asthmatic has arthritis too? Our arthritics are on Rimadyl. Zag´s managed to avoid arthritis thus far.

Is Meloxicam better than Rimadyl?

We get our stuff compounded at Summit Compounding Pharmacy in Toronto. Several drugs. It´s cheaper than our local compunding pharmacy even with the air express figured in. I don´t know if they ship over the border.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:28 am

No, actually I was just providing a bit of background on the drug. I immediately thought about carprofen since the meloxicam was shot down. I have yet to thouroughly investigate.
It sounds as if meloxicam is newer than carprofen, but I have yet to see any comparison studies. Carprofen is not a human drug and meloxicam is originally from human medicine.

In any case, Connie said that perhaps an NSAID and bronchodilator could be used concurrently depending on the drugs chosen and contraindications. I ordered an exotics formulary (since I am embarrasingly without one) which should be here by Friday. All bronchodilators are not created equally, and I know NSAIDS certainly are no exception. Supposedly it has some of the newer drugs in it, but I´m sure we´re using others not mentioned. It will at least give me a bit more knowledge on the subject. I still don´t understand enough about pharmacology to recite everything off the top of my head. I wish I were omnipotent, I suppose.

We have a great compounding pharmacy for veterinary means here as well. It usually takes a week or so by mail to get the drugs, depending on what is ordered. Pretty reasonable, anyway, it´s just not as convenient as picking it off of the shelf!

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:35 am

We get our drugs overnight or in 2 bus. days.

I´ll ask my vet about meloxicam. One of our arthritics is not responding well to the Rimadyl mostly because she refuses to move. She´s stubborn. It hurt once to move so she isn´t making that mistake again. But movement is the best medicine.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:36 pm

Checked with one of our vets and in Canada meloxicam is licensed for use in dogs and the vet hadn´t been aware that it was a human drug. 1 drop per kg daily and the container gives precise doses.

We´re taking Tira off the Rimadyl til Friday and then we´ll decide if we´ll try her on the meloxicam. (I asked about asthma with it and the vet couldn´t find anything that contraindicated it.??????)

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:13 pm

Hmmm... I wonder what this arthritis literature I found is about, then. I am definitely going to talk it over with my vet tomorrow. I think she´s in, anyway. She works only a few days a week.

I would like to do the terbutaline and meloxicam concurrently if allowable, since the pred seems to be "wearing off" quicker and quicker. I need to get her maintained soon!

The dose for the meloxicam Connie sent is 0.2 mg/kg/BID, but she said it could potentially go up to 0.5mg/kg/BID if needed. Once she sees improvement, she reduces to SID.

meloxicam is sold by Boehringer Ingelheim Labs as Mobic. It was FDA approved April of 2000. It is also an enolic acid NSAID (whatever that means).

This is a quick summary of the drug, but I found other sources also confirming the information:

www.edruginfo.com/dud_meloxicam.htm
Last edited by Josephine on Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:24 pm

He said the meloxicam was the same kind of med as the Rimadyl - NSAID.

Zag´s eye was healed so she got another dex injection. She sounds much better. Hopefully she´ll stay that way.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:26 pm

I saw Mobic listed as a new drug advance in the National Enquirer - for people.

---------------

The vet was looking under the contraindications for dogs and couldn´t find any. He did mention that asthma wasn´t all that common with dogs(I think - I was whacked out on Tylenol 3´s)which was why it might have been left off.

It´s been licensed for dogs for over a year up here - maybe 2. So bizarre it isn´t in the book as being for people. Definitely a veterinary med rather than a human one up here.

So does that mean Rimadyl can´t be used with asthma patients?

And where is the arthritis localized?
Last edited by pinta on Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:34 pm

Yeah, I just have to look up the enolic acid part. I´m sure that there are different types of NSAIDS, which is why that part was included in the description. I would like to figure out a bit more about the physiologic differences.

National Enquirer, humph. Treasured literature, I´m sure.

Not as far as I know with the carprofen. Then again, it is a canine drug and as you say--dogs rarely get asthma.

I don´t know about the arthritis. Osteoarthritis it says. Pretty general.
Last edited by Josephine on Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:38 pm

Unbelievable amounts of med info in there. You´d actually be surprised.

Where´s the arthritis located?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:40 pm

Osteoarthritis. We posted/edited at the same time.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:43 pm

You might consider high frequency ultrasound treatments as long as it isn´t in the hocks - too small. Also light laser treatments can help.

Soot has Arthritis in her shoulder, knee and hocks. She could barely walk before the ultrasound treatments. Now she´s running. Badly, but running none the less. My vet couldn´t believe the improvement in her.

We took the xrays to the physical therapist so she knew where to concentrate the head of the ultrasound machine. She also called the vet to get more details for treating.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:29 pm

I think you´ve mistaken something I´ve said. The meloxicam (NSAID) is for the asthma. My sow does not have arthritis, the NSAID is just marketed in the human fields for arthritis. NSAIDS have many different effects and the anti-inflammatory action may indeed help with her asthma. Especially when paired with a bronchodilator.