Sweetpea - Ovarian cysts in a desexed pig

Herbert

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Thank you for all the crossed fingers and toes!

izzywizzywoo, that is great news about Molly!
I think Sweetpea's lump may be too big now to risk surgery.

Surgery is kind of our last resort at this stage, but if the lump starts to affect her, (losing weight or whatever) then we will have it done, I suppose then we have nothing to lose.

Her little back legs where all stiff yesterday, poor little girl!
She seems much happier today.

TexCavy

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 am

Good luck with Sweatpea. I hope the steps you are taking will give her many happy days ahead.

Herbert

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:40 pm

It's just over 2 weeks since Sweetpea's second HCG injection.

I can't see any hair regrowth yet, she does look a lot more narrow, but she has lost some weight, she's down to 900g.

I can't be sure if it's that the lump has become smaller, or it's because she has less tummy, so it just looks smaller.

She's eating fine and seems fit as a fiddle, is it normal for a pig to lose weight after HCG treatment?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:20 am

If the cysts were heavily fluid filled, it might be normal. What I would do is take today as your baseline and watch closely for further weight loss - in which case you might want to contact your vet to see if there are other issues.

Herbert

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:09 am

Thanks Lynx.

She's still 900g, and seems happy and healthy, I have made her an appointment next week just to be on the safe side.

I seem to be having trouble with pictures at the moment, when I get it sorted I'll post the photo of her bald spots.

Herbert

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:32 am

The Pea had her check up and ultrasound today, with good and bad news.

The good news is the cyst on the right side seems to have disappered, bad news is the one on the left (which is the big one) is unchanged.

So apparently she has 2 types of cyst.

They said because of the size of it and the length of time Sweetpea has had the cyst, surgery would not be good idea,
they did say they could sedate her and try draining the cyst, which they reckon would be relatively safe.

I was wondering if anyone here has had, or knows of this being done with a pig?

I didn't ask about Cystorelin today, I might send them a email with as much info about it as I can find.

This is Sweetpea in October 2009, I should take a photo of what she looks like now. (More bald).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:28 am

Draining it might be a good idea. The vet could ensure that it is fluid filled which would be helpful to know. Cystorelin would be a good choice (it seems to have helped a number of guinea pigs).

Herbert

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Sweetpea update, all her hair grew back soon after my last post, and she was so healthy and happy I didn't want to risk getting the other one drained, so she has not had any further treatment.

After 6 months of being all sleek and hairy, her flank hair has started to thin again, so she is booked in tomorrow for another HCG shot.

This is her yesterday, you can see the hair on her sides is starting to thin out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Hope the shots work fine again.

Herbert

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks Lynx.

Everything went smoothly and the Pea is home again, and in a very bad mood!
Her little back legs are a bit stiff, but she seems fine and has not stopped eating since she got home.

She is on a low dose of Meloxicam for 3 days, and has to go back for the second shots in 7 - 10 days.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:33 am

I'm sending good thoughts for Sweetpea, and I hope she feels better soon. She is such a beautiful girl!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:09 am

Fingers crossed Sweetpea feels better!