Baxter's med thread

zazzified

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:22 am

I hate to bump this but there was still no improvement overnight, and since Baxter's thread got pushed off the front page so quickly last night I wanted to bring it back up to get some insight as to whether this is normal.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:41 pm

When Shrimpie got his eye problem from a hay poke it was a few doses of the eye drops that made it so much better and then it looked unchanged for a while. It even looked a little receded into the socket to me for a short while after finishing the course of AB drops and now it is ok (injury was 1 month ago).

Kishes to Baxter :)

zazzified

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Ok, that makes me feel better! Thanks. Is Shrimpie totally back to normal in that eye now? I'm afraid we won't be able to get it fixed up fast enough and he'll lose vision in that eye.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Shrimpie's eye is fine now :)

Fingers crossed Baxter's eye gets back to normal soon.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 pm

That's great. I hope Baxter has the same result, poor guy.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Well, tonight is the only night that my normal vet has late evening hours, so I'm going to go ahead and take him in for his follow up a couple days early and just see what she thinks.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Well, the vet is referring Baxter to an opthamologist who treats all kinds of exotics. My vet took him off the flurbiprofen because she thinks it has done what it can do for him, and added Bactrim to his regimen. He is now on Gentocin, artificial tears, Baytril, Bactrim, and meloxicam. She tested the pressure of his eye and thankfully it is normal. Tomorrow I'll call the opthamologist and see what the deal is with that. Apparently she's doing some crazy cataract surgery on a lizard tomorrow and several of the vets from my regular office are going over to assist!

zazzified

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:57 am

He sees the opthamologist at Vet Vision on Thursday afternoon. Oy!

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 pm

We just got back from the opthamologist. She debrided his eye today to hopefully help it heal, because she noted that the cells that were forming to heal the ulcer were not attaching properly because his eye wasn't staying moist enough. She gave me ofloxacin drops and erythromycin ointment to use in place of gentocin and artificial tears, respectively. He will go for a recheck on the 9th and then we will do an ultrasound if he does not heal up after having his eye debrided today.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Sending healing thoughts for Baxter and his eye, and I hope that you see more improvement soon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:53 pm

The debridement technique can work very well. Email Jennicat for details.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:57 pm

That's great to hear! I was glad the vet was able to do something for him beyond just changing his meds. While she was working she was showing me what she was doing, and she was right about the little flap that wasn't actually attaching itself to the surface of his eye.