Baxter's med thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:07 pm

Yes, the debridement tells the eye there is something wrong and it has to get busy healing.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Hopefully his eye gets the picture! I forgot to ask her about the Baytril and Bactrim that he is on but was planning to fax his care regimen to my regular vet tomorrow anyway. I imagine I should keep him on them in case there's something behind the eye causing a problem, right?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:17 pm

How's he tolerating them?

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Pretty well. I'm weighing him daily and so far it stays within a normal daily fluctuation range.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:36 pm

If 'twere me I'd keep him on them, and ask your regular vet about them after she's had a chance to review your fax.

I suspect they've overlooked the fact he's still on them, but if he's tolerating them I'd keep them up just in case they are in fact helping, while still asking if they clinically need to be continued.

Jennicat

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Hey, Talishan gave me a head's up. We did debride Pinball's eye and it seemed to make the eye heal. Our vet seemed to think that it was very similar to a condition that he saw in dogs. We also used an antibiotic ointment which helped the eye heal and kept it moist and that helped a ton.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Ok, that's what I figured! Thanks!

Any tips on putting ointment on his eye? He hated it! I can do drops because I don't have to touch his eye with the dropper, but man, the ointment does not go over well.

Thanks, Jennicat! This vet also mentioned the similarity to dogs she has treated.

Jennicat

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 pm

I usually pulled down on the lower lid slightly and then tried to smear it under the lid and massage it around gently. The pig will usually start biting you by the time you get the lid covered in goo.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Ok, thanks. Baxter has gotten a lot of practice biting me this past week so he has his part covered.

Jennicat

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 pm

They're always glad to pitch in and do their parts!

zazzified

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:20 am

I think we finally have some progress. He is no longer on flurbiprofen, and even so the swelling seems to be down. Yesterday when he was arguing with me about whether he needed ointment on his eye he was able to close it completely in defiance. He still doesn't close it entirely on a regular basis, but the fact that he was able to do so at all is definitely something.

I forgot to ask about this before, but she had mentioned possibly using some type of glue on the surface of his eye if the ulcer doesn't heal up? I wish I could remember what she said exactly. She said she's done it on dogs, cats, and rabbits but no guinea pigs so far. She mentioned that in dogs she's also put contact lenses on them because that aids healing somehow, but that she can't do it on smaller animals because they wouldn't fit.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:41 pm

I don't recall hearing about that. Sounds interesting.