Show your cage III

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:11 pm

Ange1icflowers, the folks at GPC are pretty adamant about lofts not counting in the required cage space, but I think it depends on the pigs. I have a two-level six-foot-long cage with an outside tunnel, and mine run madly from one end, up the tunnel to the other end of the loft, back down to where they started, and then do it all over again. So they definitely use the loft as a place for exercise. If yours do anything like that, you can probably get by with a little less than the recommended space.

Other things you might consider are removing the big hidey and making the loft the feeding area, so there's more free space on the bottom, and switching to an external ramp to free up more floor space.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:27 pm

bpatters can we see your cage? I'm curious about the tunnel. It sounds cool!

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:19 am

wow Hunybee, What kind of water bottle is that? It looks like a huge bottle for human consumption that you just put a spout on but its neat. LOL, and Jasper is so pretty when not covered with hay. Don't tell him I said pretty though. He might wish I'd have said boarly or handsome. Either way he's a cutie whether playing haymonster or not. And I just love solid black piggies. And yet I still have not ever had one yet.
And your fleece in that last pic reminds me of the most awesome warmest sleeping bag I ever had. Nice memories in that.

Yeah, Ange 1, if your pigs are so bonded they don't really fuss over stuff you really might not have to worry about adding space unless you can and want to. I like the hut on the top level. I wish that if a pig herd used the upper deck a lot and likes it that it counted in the minimum size. But then, if they get along really well, that minimum isn't as set in stone, in my opinion, as long as they have nearly as much.

Ange1icflowers

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 am

I think I'm going to give them a "lower level" off of the main level off to the side for their "kitchen". This will keep the main level usable as the "play" area and the loft for sleeping. And under the loft for sleeping as well. And the breakfast area for sleeping as well.

But it should make for easier cleanup with the fleece, as I won't put fleece in the "kitchen".

Ok. Off to bed so I can work out the logistics of this tomorrow. Pray for me. I can't visualize things, so I have to get a rough idea in front of me...which means putting together and taking apart many, many, many times.

Hunybee

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:14 am

Tex. It IS a human water bottle. Theirs cracked during cleaning one day. I was scrambling to find something because of course, these things don't happen unless you are getting ready for work. This one litre bottle fit the spout perfectly, and Jasper can't empty it in one day like he did the other one. AND this one doesn't leak.

As for the pillows, they wouldn't use the bags I made them, so I filled them with extra batting. Big enough to sleep under as well as on.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:39 am

I'll try with the cage pictures. These were before I was quite finished with the cage, and the GPs hadn't arrived yet. The cage has never again been so clean...

I actually cut a 1.5 inch-wide strip out of the length of the tunnel in case I ever had to unstick a pig. Hasn't happened yet. I also support the tunnel with three bungee cords.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 am

Wow, you mean they actually like that tunnel? I imagine even with some support it kind of flexes. I would think that might scare them some. Have you tried to clean it out? That can be a downside of tunnels.

Ange1icflowers, nice big cage!

I like seeing the shelving sides. Seems to me they are stronger and safer (a head can't go through) though perhaps less versatile and more expensive.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 am

They love it -- took 'em less than an hour to figure out how to go up and down. It doesn't flex -- it's pretty stiff drain pipe, and the bungee cords hold it tight against the cage. I had to make it sturdy, because the Abby's rooster tail sticks up out of the slot as she's going up and down, and the dog is VERY interested. But it's funny, sitting across the room and watching this tuft of hair ascending up the side of the cage.

It comes apart for easy cleaning. You can (barely) see the red dots I've painted on the ends -- that's where the tube slots into the elbows, so you just slide it in at both ends and give it a twist. The picture doesn't show it, but it also has a fleece-over-mattress-pad runner that goes through it and out each end. I usually find a few poops underneath the runner, especially if they've had more Nascar races than usual and have gotten the runner out of alignment. But cleaning is usually just a matter of shaking it out and either spraying it with the hose, or wiping it out with a rag.

Maisiesmom
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:43 am

that looks like lots of fun!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:32 am

Ok bpatters. I am demanding a Nascar Racing video! Come on! We have to see!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 am

Sorry, cNp, no video camera. I'll try to do a play-by-play call the next time they do it and post it for you.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:27 pm

No video on your camera? Darn! I would love to see that!