Squee's medical thread

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Hurrah! that's all 3 pigs ill or on their way. ffs.

This one is for our youngest, Squee, a black/charcoal coloured Sheltie of 6 months old.
Came to us last year August covered in lice, but has been healthy since.

I swear all my pigs are getting ill because of Pippin's passing away a week ago. It's too coincidental! or they just hate me..

Anyway, her weight is steadily increasing each month and currently weighs in at 0,887g, but today I noticed a lump of roughly 2cm wide on her throat.

She was bitten by Scruffles last week which resulted in a small wound on her lip which has healed without a problem. Could this cause a lump to come up?

We're taking ALL 3 guineas to the vet on Thursday now, screw the costs. I'm so fed up with them being unwell and I'm pretty sure I am not doing anything to cause this..

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Sometimes lumps in the throat are Cervical Lymphadenitis (CL) (check the lumps page for a link to threads: gl/lumps.html ).

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:03 pm

That could very well be it. it's quite solid feeling though and moves a little but not much.

Again, we'll see what the vet says on Thursday :/

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Another possibility is that Scruffles nailed her on the throat as well, and you simply haven't seen it. It could be a small abscess as well.

Let's just say 2010 has not started well for you or your group. I sincerely hope this is nothing major and everyone improves.

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:10 am

Talishan - my OH did mention that possibility, but I can not feel any scabs or see any hair loss. Or can internal damage cause a lump?

It's definitely not good as it's grown a lot over night, poor little thing.
I already told her, just because I miss Pippin doesn't mean she has to be like her health wise.

As for Scruffles, she's SO aggressive sometime towards Squee mostly, but also Chewie who's 8. Scruffles was fine with any company up until a year ago.

We recently build a ginormous cage for them in the hope it was a space issue, but Scruffles just lunges at Squee for no reason.

I've tried floor time, bathing together etc. nothing seems to bond them and now Pip is gone it seems to have gotten worse.

Squee and Chewie are quite close now, but Scruffles... she reminds me of myself as a teenager. Doesn't want to be alone, but hates everyone at the same time!

What can I do apart from separation??

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:05 am

Re: Squee - if she has an abscess and it opens, it is contagious (see CL threads) that's one thing I learned when Patches, my friends pig, developed abscesses while in my care. He was separated once I realised and rightfully so, since his abscess then burst into his mouth :(

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:32 am

I did not know that o.0 When granny had an abscess it burst, but apart from being told how to clean it, no one told me it was contagious. Lucky escape for my girls back then!

thanks for that

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:40 am

An abscess is essentially a huge ball of infectious puss. In the case of CL it can be contagious and I'm sure I've heard that the pus, in certain cases, can also affect humans which is why you should wash your hands when handling a pig with a burst abscess.

But all of what I know is second-hand information, you may want to call someone with super experience in abscess handling before deciding to separate Squee. If it does burst, though, to be safe, I'd separate. :(

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:49 am

I know it's pussy and therefore infected, but never thought about it being contagious. Pretty dumb huh?

I did read it can be contagious to people if it's a CL abscess & with my weak immune system I'll be triple careful.

The lump doesn't seem to be in danger of bursting yet as it's still under a good layer of skin and thick fur. It's more mobile today then yesterday too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:13 pm

"Pretty dumb huh?"

No, not at all. This stuff isn't exactly common knowledge. I suspect lots of vets don't know it (but won't admit it).

CL is highly, highly contagious. Other abscess materials are far less so; otherwise, we'd all be having to take extreme precautions when flushing, draining and cleansing *any* abscess. If you have a weak immune system, do take extra precaution regardless, of course.

If this were my situation I'd separate Scruffles out, but make it to where, if possible, she is gridwall neighbors with Squee and Chewie. See how that works. If she chews the bars incessantly, then that doesn't help anything. But I have a feeling she's seizing what she sees as a chance to dominate the group, with Pippin's absence.

" ... but I can not feel any scabs or see any hair loss."

This is what it can look like under their fur

And this

Any chance at all you can go sooner than Thursday?

Tuggell

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:16 pm

I know very little about guinea pig health but your story reminds me of something. It's actually my dog who got in a fight with my other dog. The bites he had healed but not long after that a mass formed not far from the old puntures. I don't remember what the vet called it exactly but we were given medicine and he got better. I don't know if these two things could be a like, if that could even translate between dogs and pigs. The stories are just so similar. Good luck at the vet. I hope everybody feels better

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 am

thanks tuggell! your story does sound very similar.

talishan - unfortunately not :( I'm bound to the fact I need my OH to drive me there and he works full time, plus the fact that Polly is the only vet I trust with my girls and she's in high demand. Thursday was the earliest we could get, but it's early morning. There are no cavy savvy vets near me apart from that one.

I think I might shave the fur near Squee's lump and see if there are any cuts. I might've missed it. She's still eating happily and is active. the lump has grown a little overnight and is now a-symmetrical as well. It's so hard to have a good feel as it's right under where her jawbones part, so it's snuggled into that cavity inside.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:44 pm

This is starting to sound more like CL. I hope I'm wrong. Please keep us posted.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:25 am

Squee is getting .5ml of septrin every 12 hours. If the lumps (vet found another small one under the left jawbone) don't go down in a week, we'll get it lanced, flushed & treated.

everything else was fine apart from some respiratory noise, but that's most likely due to the bigger lump pressing against her throat.

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 am

Well Squee's been on the antibiotics for the 5th day now and they're not going down at all. If anything, I think they're growing.

So we'll be going to the vet some time this week to get it lanced, poor ickle thing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Do have them try to determine what kind of infection it is IMO. Best to her and to you.

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:34 am

yes will do. she's separate atm anyway.
Just wish her little life didn't have such a dark start.

Our appointment is today at 5pm, we're taking Scruffles in too as she's mysteriously losing weight even though she seems fine.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Squee stayed overnight for surgery this morning & we just arrived home an hour ago with her and a nice gaping wound in her dewlap: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/poepgat/squeeabscesswound.jpg

The operation went without problems, she came around really quickly from anesthetics & when we picked her up she was bright, active and inquisitive :)
As soon as she knew it was us she started eating hay & at home she ate lettuce and drank.

She'll be on 0.3ml of Baytril & 0.75(!) metronidazole for 2 weeks. We don't need to flush it as the vet has filled the wound with a type of antibiotic that will keep infection out. We just need to keep it from scabbing over & have a follow up on Monday. it's then we'll know what type of abscess it was (when we picked her up it was from a nurse and she didn't know).

Anyway, Squee seems to not care what happened & has remained her chatty & energetic self.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Eeeps. Would you like me to add your pic permanently to this thread? Might make a small image with a larger clickable image (it's pretty graphic).

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:58 pm

That's why I posted a link instead of a photo. Didn't want to be all 'in your face' with her wound.

111 posts