Scruffles medical thread

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:29 pm

When you're at the veterinarian's I would have an x ray done if you don't plan on that already. I hope all turns out well with Scuffles.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:45 am

cinnabuns mom - yes that is the plan of action indeed. we're checking for cysts as well as Scruffles is so very aggressive suddenly in last few months (It didn't occur to me it might be hormonal, I thought she was just a B).

Well today that little lump Scruffles had has gone down in size, but is really hard.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:30 pm

bah Scruffles now has diarea. I'm syringing water and pro biotics, but she's eating hay and veg on her own.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Is it true diarrhea (watery, nasty-smelling), or more like loose stools?

True diarrhea should be considered an emergency.
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#diarrhea

If this is a mild form of diarrhea (loose stools), you may want to stop feeding veggies until things firm up a bit. More veggies may make it worse.

https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:29 am

it was true diarrhea, very bad smelling, but my water syringing and pro biotics every 2 hours kept Scruffles ok until the vet appointment this morning.

Scruffles does indeed have a lodged stone up her urethra. I'm kinda glad I wasn't imagining things because of what happened with Pippin.

She's at the vets now for an x-ray & they'll try and get it out with forceps. They'll also check for ovarian cysts since Scruffles is so socially aggressive, but the vet reckons it might be due to being in pain.

more news later today.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 am

I could cry out of pure relief and happiness right now! Just got a phone call from my OH saying that they removed the lodged stone successfully under mild gas aneasthetics and the x-rays showed no sign of other stones or ovarian cysts.

She came around really quickly after the procedure & had no problems during.
Apparently she's the noisiest pig they've ever dealt with :D

the vet reckons she has diarrhea because of straining to get the stone out as there were no parasites present.

She'll be on antibiotics, metacam and vitamin C supplement for a week (although we have been recommended to give C sups anyway) and we'll be closely looking into how their diet may be altered to prevent stones in the future.

of course I'll be giving her pro biotics as well until her belly returns to normal.

I'm so happy my fat cuddle pig will be OK soon <3
She'll also be kept separate from Chewie & Squee until Squee's abscesses have gone. then we might reintroduce them again or keep them separated (with a divider) depending on how much of Scruffles' behaviour was caused by pain.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:04 pm

the stone they took out:

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:12 pm

These stone pictures always give me a spasm of sympathetic pain! Glad she's doing well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:31 pm

That's a pretty big stone!

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Ditto to that mmedows. I always think oww oww oww as I look at them.

No wonder she was cranky.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:16 pm

I know :( she must have been in so much discomfort. I only felt around that area because she strained just the once when she pooped & discovered that lump.

I need some advice. We've been syringe feeding her water & CC, she's eating hay, carrot, lettuce with a little encouragement (she doesn't eat unless I stroke her constantly), but she still hasn't peed.

She's been home since 7pm, it's now 22:15. We're quite worried she isn't peeing.

Do we need to take her back? or is it normal to take a while after just an invasive procedure?

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:39 pm

woop! she just did a massive clear pee!