Scruffles medical thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:52 pm

That is great!

Sending good thoughts for Scruffles, and I hope she continues to do well. No-more-stones wishes, too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Good to hear she peed! Recovery from surgery can be nerve wracking.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Oh, thank goodness ... both for the procedure and the pee.

Her urethra was probably quite swollen and tender.

Be glad she's a girl. As awful as that stone looks for Scruffles, there's no way your vet could have worked it out of a boy. It sounds as if you have a very good vet.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:53 am

My vet is pretty good :) I'm lucky to have her. And lucky to have girls otherwise Scruffles would probably not be here today :/

I need a bit of advice regarding her poo. It's still soft and I really want it to harden up so she can poop normally (or at least not lose so much water).

I syringe 20ml of CC into her often as I can (did 2 before I went to bed at 12 last night and another one at half 3 in the morning), plus 15ml of water with pro biotics every time I feed. She eats bits of veggies and I can get hay into her at a painstakingly slow pace (she only chews when I pet her? why?), but her poop stays the same pasty and occasionally watery substance.

She is on an antibiotic called marbocyl, could that cause her stools to not firm up? or do you think it's still stress from yesterday?

Normally she's a super chatty and lively pig, but she's so terribly quiet.
I know some pigs take a while to recover, but it's heartbreaking to see her like this faint shadow of the girl she used to be :(

Any advice would be very welcome (of course I'll do some online research too). thanks guys x

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 am

her poop is forming again and semi hard now. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!

Go team Scruffles!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:47 am

Good news! Hoping for continued improvement.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Still doesn't want to eat or drink on her own...here's to another sleepless night

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Marbocyl is a chemical relative of Baytril (marbofloxacin, a fluoroquinolone [sp?]). That may be affecting her appetite.

I do not know why they chew when you pet them and stop when you don't. We have several that have done that. Maybe they are imagining gnawing on your hand. ;-)

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:15 am

She'll only be on the marbocyl for 5 days, we're on day 3 so I might as well ride it out I think.

She's a lot perkier today, licks my hands again, talks a lot (although really quietly), but her poop remains pasty. sometimes they form and sometimes it's just blobs. Oh and she's also bitchy to Chewie again.
I had Chewie with her for company during feedings yesterday and they snuggled together (if Chewie wasn't trying to steal the CC!), but this morning scruffles started chatter teething as soon as she saw Chewie come near... Ah..her old self is returning, the joy ;)

She's seperated from the other 2 still because of Squee's lump. She also gained 30g since yesterday even though she's pooping the same amount, if not more.

She is struggling more with feedings now so getting enough in to her is going to be a task today. She also eats bits of hay on her own from time to time and she washed herself :)

Is there anything else I can do to firm up her poop? what about banana? I know it's high in sugar, but it also firms poops or should I just steer clear from that idea?

I just want her cramps and pasty poop to go away so her bits can heal. her urethra looks really sore still and all this poop everywhere isn't helping I'm sure (I do wet wipe her butt regularly though).

She weighs 1,207kg at the moment, more then she's weighed in a few months at least.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:59 am

Here's a thought no one else has really raised: When I told everyone that Bailey was going on a high dose of Baytril I was warned (extensively *winks*) about antibiotic intolerance.

I also read that in the case of antibiotic intolerance then the antibiotic should be stopped. To me, theoretically speaking not from experience, this means that antibiotic intolerance won't go away until the antibiotic goes away. So, theoretically, Scruffles should go back to 100% poopie output and gorge herself in all your household edibles when she comes off the antibiotic -- if her symptoms are a result of an intolerance to the antibiotic.

I'm not sure if intolerance can be "managed" to a point with giving extra probiotic (as in, an OTT overload of it) to help her improve when you do take her off the AB.

Beyond that, I've got nothing else to suggest.

She has a good weight, she's in the same weight bracket as my boys.

I take fighting back when being force fed as a good sign that they're getting their spunk back. It helps me to continue feeding them even as they get cheeky with the syringe.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:55 am

See if this page gives you any ideas: www.guinealynx.info/.html

The usual problem with antibiotics is inappetence. If you have soft poops from the antibiotics, it is because they are also disrupting the digestive system. That can take longer to fix.

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 pm

thanks lynx, I did read that page and followed the advice apart from stopping the antibiotics.

NciS:
I did eventually gave her some banana and that worked :) her poops are now almost normal and her appetite is increasing :) I think by tomorrow she should be mostly back to normal.

She's getting feistier by the minute! almost nipped me a few times during feeding.. heh.

She has eaten hay and a few pellets on her own now - hurrah!