Baxter's med thread

zazzified

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Baxter's eye continues to improve. I'm really hopeful about it. Surface looks great and the bulginess is still decreasing. He can still blink completely. Can still see some clouding in that stripe where that ulcer is/was - not sure whether he's going to have obstructed vision there permanently or what, but I can't tell if the vision in that eye is worse than the other. He can definitely see something out of it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Bulging down plus seeing out -- doubly good news.

zazzified

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:50 pm

You can't see his other eye in this picture because I was taking it for Cavy Chat and not the med forum, but I think you can see how much the swelling has gone down even without the comparison.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 pm

It definitely looks way better! Almost like a normal eye :) Almost there buddy :)

zazzified

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm really really pleased with it. He just finished his bactrim so all he's getting now is ofloxacin drops and artificial tears 3-4 times a day.

zazzified

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 am

Here he is today

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 am

He looks better! You can tell us more (the pic is a little dark).

zazzified

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:40 am

Yep, I had some trouble getting a good picture but it definitely looks much better.

Here's another:

It looks a bit red, but it was just the lighting playing on that bony growth he has around his eyes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Much better pic and better looking eye. Check out the eye page and the link to the Records forum for more pics of boney growths in eyes. https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

edit - this is the link that appears on the eyes page: https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... ?p=163#163

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:07 am

Sending more good thoughts for Baxter! His eye has really improved.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:24 pm

I hesitate to bump this because I don't want to worry anyone!

Baxter's eye is doing well, but he does still need to get his teeth trimmed soon because as mentioned before, the surfaces are wearing unevenly and are pointy. He eats well and maintains his weight so I wasn't going to put him through that while his eye was so bad.

I did some searching but I'm still unclear on a couple of things. Is this something I should be thinking of as a major procedure? Do I need to be prepared to do a chin sling right off the bat? Or with a skilled vet is this a routine thing as long as they don't overdo it? While I'm at it, any idea as to cost? As I mentioned before, he currently is experiencing no issues re: eating, maintaining weight, etc. He does do that head thing where he sort of adjusts pellets in his mouth before chewing, but that is his only symptom of sorts.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:37 pm

In my experience (your mileage may vary):

1. Major procedure: no. This is not invasive surgery. He will not be sedated anywhere near as deeply as for soft tissue surgery. He will be a little groggy for a few minutes; it should be no more than that. However, depending entirely on what the vet does and how he reacts to it, be prepared to chop his vegetables for a bit, handfeed him bits of hay, and be sure to get him a pain med. He may not need it, but if he does, you have it.

2. Chin sling: keep it in mind but don't worry about it unless skull rads show elongated roots or the vet diagnoses weakened jaw muscles and/or a TMJ-like condition. In my opinion and experience only.

3. "Or with a skilled vet is this a routine thing as long as they don't overdo it?"

This is the perfect and ideal situation.

4. Cost: metro Atlanta -- oh, $95-$170 or so, depending on length of time under iso and any additional meds (i.e., Metacam). If it starts to be a regular thing ... "take a little off the top every 6 weeks or so" ... it should be less. Your vet will get into a routine and hopefully will take a little off the $.

"No issues" speaks well to a routine trim and no chronic problems like elongated roots.