Shiloe's Medical Thread. Please help!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:53 pm

I will treat them all today, thank Mum. Do you think Shiloe will be more agressive if she cant see? I need to introduce Rosey next week but dont want to upset Shiloe.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:57 pm

I think aggression is more related to the personality of the pig. But there's only one way to find out :-p

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:04 pm

Poor Rosey, she may be in for a handful with Shiloe. Somer & Savannah are mellow and I dont think they will care. With Shiloe having a hard time seeing I hate to think it will upset her to add someone new.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:21 pm

If the eye is not under any pressure internally, I don't think there will be any pain. I didn't think cataracts were a painful condition. There was some cloudiness in Nina's eyes and she never seemed bothered.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:26 pm

I have several pigs who don't see well, and they aren't at all aggressive - in fact, they tend to be nondominant pigs.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:41 pm

I don't think they should be painful either. She sounds like she is adjusting to it.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:38 pm

Yes, cataracts can cause pain. It mostly deals with IOP (intraocular pressure as explained previously) as well as the rigid calcification of the lens. Usually, it isn't painful, but it is something that needs to be monitored closely, since the condition can change drastically within hours.

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:09 pm

As far as vision impairment, many humans with cataracts have described it as looking through a veil. So some vision may remain even in advanced cataracts. But even if she is completely blind in that eye she will adjust and get around fine. I don't think it will change her personality any. Pigs are more accepting of such things than many humans. My boyfriend get grumpier the more vision he loses. I've had three pigs with cataracts and none of them changed their personality due to it.

Good luck with her. I hope she does not ever experience pain or anything more severe from it.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:56 pm

This is not an emergency but I wanted to keep it on her thread. I think Shiloe is slipping. I know she can't see now and her hearing is going too it seems. I found her pancaked out the other morning and almost burst into tears thinking she was gone. But I said her name loudly as I was getting closer and she looked up. She and Savannah are 5 this year. After losing Somer I think I am paranoid.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:33 pm

I hate scares. Hoping you have a few more years with her.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks, me too.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Oh Deb..I'm praying for you and Shiloh. I had a similar situation with Topaz last week. She was splayed out on the floor and couldn't move, didn't respond to me. I went and grabbed Alli out of school so she could say goodbye. By some miracle, Topaz started to revive during the course of the day and today, she's as busy as she ever was. I'll hope for the same for your girl.