Scruffles medical thread

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Yeah I've read it. Could it be a relapse from the marbocyl? last time they couldn't find a parasite or bacteria that caused it, but I suppose this could change.

I can't see the vet until monday, so until then I'll have to fight on.

She's pretty much still herself, eats, drinks..just pastes. heh..

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 pm

"glad to know I'm not paranoid, but I'm also sick of being right :("

Boy do I understand how you feel. It'd be nice to be right sometimes about the good stuff, but it never seems to work out that way, only the bad stuff. :-(

Is the paste paste or full-on watery diarrhea? Without reading back, what cleared it last time?

I'm reluctant to second the Bactrim idea in that it will mess up any tests or analyses they might want to do on Monday.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:30 am

it's pasty. She seems very happy in herself though.
She also started to get a snotty nose again, clear, but she's had this on and off since before the surgery.

the vet said she couldn't hear anything, but I swear she has a minor URI going on.
There's no dust in their cage, hay is dust free (oxbow orchard) & they are on fleece.
I also don't hear her sneeze, but her eye are more watery and a little dirty.

Last time I stopped the AB which kept it away & feeding her banana that firmed up her poo within hours (both before and after I stopped AB).

Her weight today is 1,042kg.

Brainerror

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:25 am

her poop is forming again after some banana, loads of CC & probiotic water.
fingers crossed she stays this way.. her weights gone up a bit by 40g.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:47 am

Go easy on the banana. Too much has caused serious problems with at least one guinea pig.

Brainerror

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:25 pm

I know it causes bloat. she had banana yesterday & none since. she's pooping fine again now.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:17 am

Well her pooping is fine still, but she's still slowly losing weight. today she weighs 1,029..

She's eating fine, pooping, peeing, behaving normally...

Then yesterday I noticed her left ear. Now she's always had dry ears & it has gotten worse after we left the heating on low overnight for all the ill piggers, but I've never seen it like this:
It's shiny because of the moisturizer from gorgeous guineas, but it's incredibly cracked.

Could this still be just dry skin? ringworm was ruled out last year & apart from her ears nothing else is dry which makes me think not fungal. plus when it's dry it doesn't look anything like ear mites or fungal probs. no layers of scabs etc. just dry cracked skin.

Is there a better treatment out there for this? her ears really hurt her atm, which is no surprise really.

And what about her weight loss?

I feel another vet visit is in order..........

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:13 am

Ouch. Looks like a tear, maybe from scratching.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:43 am

She does scratch it a lot. Is there anything I can do to help it heal? the GG souffle stings so I'd rather not use it on her open ear.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 am

Oh and I forgot to mention that the non reactive pupils might have been indicating pain. After the op she did the same thing with her pupils until I gave her her metacam for the day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:45 am

I would not use the GG stuff. Check to see if some of the anti-itch items creams can be used on open sores. Trim the nails, sand them so they are not so sharp. I don't know if a collar or foot wrap is needed or would help but they will have to have time to heal. You don't want to use any preparation that cannot be ingested. Go lightly with any sort of antibacterial cream (none should be ingested).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Ditto Lynx. Most of the time their nails are clipped straight across (whether you do it or the vet does it). This can leave a sharp point.

When my vet has time she'll go back through and clip the point off the back nails. This makes them much safer. Otherwise we file them down. (Warning: guinea pigs do NOT like the vibration and the noise filing makes. Be prepared for her to yell about it.)

I would apply a very thin layer of KY jelly to that. This has a glycerin base and a small amount of chlorhexidine gluconate (antimicrobial) in it.

She is a Rex or Teddy, correct? They have the worst dry skin problems and they're always ten times worse in winter.

Delicately ignore what the product is usually used and sold for