Scruffles medical thread
Goto page Previous  1,   2,   3, 4 ... 21,   22,   23   Next 
Guinea Lynx Forums -> Emergency & Medical Print
Older Thread :: Newer Thread  
2/9/2010, 6:50 am
Brainerror   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

Well I'm back to worrying again. Scruffles has dropped 130g overnight (the night before she dropped 120).
I did stop feeding in the night, is that what caused this?

she eats pellets now, hay and veg. not as much as she used to mind..

I think I'll still give her some CC & water during the day, just to prevent anything bad happening.

I'll see her eat happily and then suddenly she moves away like she's forgotten what she was doing or like something spooked her when nothing's going on.

I hope her little brain didn't fry..

She also doesn't drink much from the water bottle. I got her to do maybe 5 licks from it last night & she kinda hesitates like she wants to, but doesn't want to and then moves on.

Anyway, she's going to the vet with Squee today.
2/9/2010, 7:18 am
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

Gr my tired brain is confused & I'm crap at maths.. my OH pointed out that it isn't as bad as my stupid brain thought.

here are her weights from the last few days:
Feb 5 : 1,117kg
Feb 6 : 1,207kg
Feb 7 : 1,108kg
Feb 8 : 1,130kg
Feb 9 : 1,100kg

To me it still fluctuates too much, but not as dramatically as I thought. Really wish I could just edit my other post or at least delete it.

Anyway, I'll be sure to use a calculator in the future!
2/9/2010, 9:49 am
Amy0204   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Amy0204
What was I thinking?

We miss our sweet Oreo

If she's only 17 g. down since Feb. 5, I don't think there's an issue. I find my pigs can be +/-20 g. easily in one day depending on the time of the weighing. Water consumption will definitely affect it, as well veggies. I've been monitoring Nutmeg very carefully since his issues aren't altogether resolved. And I'm always amazed as the differences in the morning. But once he's had his morning veggies, he back right where he was the day before. Maybe you should try weighing her twice a day for a little while?
2/10/2010, 1:01 pm
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

thank you :) yes I will weigh her multiple times a day I think. I'm just a bit paranoid atm ;) and my brain is half asleep due to exhaustion.

we went to vet on tuesday and she got the all clear. I'm so relieved!
2/10/2010, 4:31 pm
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

her weight is 1,050 today, so she's still dropping. she eats, drinks, poops and acts normal however.
2/11/2010, 8:23 am
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

glad to know I'm not paranoid, but I'm also sick of being right :(

Scruffles has pasty diarrhea again. *sigh*

Of course I'll be feeding her pro biotics, vit C & CC to firm things up again.

Do you think chucking her on bactrim for a week would help? we have lots of it as Squee was treated with it before the op & we have lots left over.
2/11/2010, 2:16 pm
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

Someone please? I'm running out of steam :(
2/11/2010, 2:39 pm
Lynx   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Depends on the actual cause. The only advice I have that would relate to this is on the diarrhea page. You've probably read it.

www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html
2/11/2010, 2:57 pm
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

Yeah I've read it. Could it be a relapse from the marbocyl? last time they couldn't find a parasite or bacteria that caused it, but I suppose this could change.

I can't see the vet until monday, so until then I'll have to fight on.

She's pretty much still herself, eats, drinks..just pastes. heh..
2/11/2010, 8:56 pm
Talishan   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Talishan
Cleaning Lady

You can quote me

"glad to know I'm not paranoid, but I'm also sick of being right :("

Boy do I understand how you feel. It'd be nice to be right sometimes about the good stuff, but it never seems to work out that way, only the bad stuff. :-(

Is the paste paste or full-on watery diarrhea? Without reading back, what cleared it last time?

I'm reluctant to second the Bactrim idea in that it will mess up any tests or analyses they might want to do on Monday.
2/12/2010, 7:30 am
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

it's pasty. She seems very happy in herself though.
She also started to get a snotty nose again, clear, but she's had this on and off since before the surgery.

the vet said she couldn't hear anything, but I swear she has a minor URI going on.
There's no dust in their cage, hay is dust free (oxbow orchard) & they are on fleece.
I also don't hear her sneeze, but her eye are more watery and a little dirty.

Last time I stopped the AB which kept it away & feeding her banana that firmed up her poo within hours (both before and after I stopped AB).

Her weight today is 1,042kg.
2/14/2010, 11:25 am
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

her poop is forming again after some banana, loads of CC & probiotic water.
fingers crossed she stays this way.. her weights gone up a bit by 40g.
2/14/2010, 11:47 am
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Go easy on the banana. Too much has caused serious problems with at least one guinea pig.
2/14/2010, 5:25 pm
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

I know it causes bloat. she had banana yesterday & none since. she's pooping fine again now.
2/18/2010, 8:17 am
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

Well her pooping is fine still, but she's still slowly losing weight. today she weighs 1,029..

She's eating fine, pooping, peeing, behaving normally...

Then yesterday I noticed her left ear. Now she's always had dry ears & it has gotten worse after we left the heating on low overnight for all the ill piggers, but I've never seen it like this:

It's shiny because of the moisturizer from gorgeous guineas, but it's incredibly cracked.

Could this still be just dry skin? ringworm was ruled out last year & apart from her ears nothing else is dry which makes me think not fungal. plus when it's dry it doesn't look anything like ear mites or fungal probs. no layers of scabs etc. just dry cracked skin.

Is there a better treatment out there for this? her ears really hurt her atm, which is no surprise really.

And what about her weight loss?

I feel another vet visit is in order..........
2/18/2010, 9:13 am
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Ouch. Looks like a tear, maybe from scratching.
2/18/2010, 9:43 am
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

She does scratch it a lot. Is there anything I can do to help it heal? the GG souffle stings so I'd rather not use it on her open ear.
2/18/2010, 10:13 am
Brainerror
Big Mouth Strikes Again

Oh and I forgot to mention that the non reactive pupils might have been indicating pain. After the op she did the same thing with her pupils until I gave her her metacam for the day.
2/18/2010, 11:45 am
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

I would not use the GG stuff. Check to see if some of the anti-itch items creams can be used on open sores. Trim the nails, sand them so they are not so sharp. I don't know if a collar or foot wrap is needed or would help but they will have to have time to heal. You don't want to use any preparation that cannot be ingested. Go lightly with any sort of antibacterial cream (none should be ingested).
2/18/2010, 8:54 pm
Talishan   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Talishan
Cleaning Lady

You can quote me

Ditto Lynx. Most of the time their nails are clipped straight across (whether you do it or the vet does it). This can leave a sharp point.

When my vet has time she'll go back through and clip the point off the back nails. This makes them much safer. Otherwise we file them down. (Warning: guinea pigs do NOT like the vibration and the noise filing makes. Be prepared for her to yell about it.)

I would apply a very thin layer of KY jelly to that. This has a glycerin base and a small amount of chlorhexidine gluconate (antimicrobial) in it.

She is a Rex or Teddy, correct? They have the worst dry skin problems and they're always ten times worse in winter.

Delicately ignore what the product is usually used and sold for
[img]http://www.guinealynx.info/pics/.jpg[/img]           ::    
Page 3 of 23 Goto page Previous  1,   2,   3, 4 ... 21,   22,   23   Next

Reply to topic  

-22F = -30C
-4F = -20C
14F = -10C

32F = 0C
41F = 5C
50F = 10C
59F = 15C
68F = 20C
77F = 25C
86F = 30C
95F = 35C

98.6F = 37C
100.4F = 38C
102.2F = 39C
104.0F = 40C
105.8F = 41C
107.6F = 42C
109.4F = 43C
111.2F = 44C
113.0F = 45C
114.8F = 46C
116.6F = 47C
118.4F = 48C
120.2F = 49C
122.0F = 50C

Guinea Pigs are for Life

Please Support Guinea Lynx in 2014

Order your Cavy Health Record Book today!

TRACIS' LINKS INDEX

Are you a Guinea Lynx Fan? Tell the world on Facebook!

Contact Us --- Home