Daisy and Ruby, bonded pigs

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 pm

They hanged on for each other, to take that long trip to the Rainbow Bridge together,... just like the way they had been doing everything else in life.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 pm

It's such a touching story, I have to admit my eyes are tearing up, too. With all of our pigs, I don't believe I've ever seen anything like that. Although there are two females who will both try to squoosh into the same pigloo. I can never tell whether its because they want to be so close, or whether they're both too stubborn to leave. I'd like to think they have the kind of relationship that Daisy and Ruby had.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Oh hi pinta! You know I was wishing a story from you just the other day. Frizzle and Wooly were very much like this pair. I'm sorry for your loss.

LynnK

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:09 am

That is so sad, but so amazing at the same time. It's so amazing how they know that they have to be with there friend no matter what. Thanks for posting such a bittersweet story!

pinta

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:32 am

Maggie and Rosie were another "bonded" duo who came to us about the same time as Ruby and Daisy. They split up the second they hit the condo with Rosie(smooth haired red) joining up with Conway(PEW) and Daphne(smooth haired red with a white blaze). I don't think she's spent time with Maggie since they arrived.

Maggie(black and red abby) is a senior completely blind from cataracts. She immediately joined up with Daisy and Ruby and they became the old lady trio ruling one level of the condo. Daisy was then the voice for all three.

We were concerned how Maggie would take the loss of her clique but she seems to be fine although a little annoyed with constantly being poked to make sure she is still alive.

It helps that another bonded duo(brother and sister) just joined the herd. New blood makes for a healthy distraction from recent losses. Fredeye and Molly do appear to be bonded with Mollie obviously in charge. They've made themselves at home even occasionally taking over the condo level usually inhabited by Conway and his red sows. There was a time Conway would have beaten Fredeye up but he lost his thug attitude when his bonded friend, Buddy(black and red smooth hair) gained enough weight after getting on heart meds to pull a chunk of hair out of Conway and put him in his place. Typical bully: becomes gutless when someone stands up to him.

TexCavy

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 am

Oh wow. So these are pigs that are still doing well?

pinta

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:42 am

They're doing fine.

When Fredeye and Mollie first came, Buddy and Lily were the welcoming committee. We let the pigs do their own introductions to newbies by leaving the newbies in the living room and waiting for the resident pigs to discover them. Molly found her way into the condo within a day and Fredeye soon to followed.

Lily is a bossy undersized black and white abby who previously lived as an only pig and now believes everywhere is her territory. Her method of welcoming Fredeye was rapid fire machine gun sneak attacks from under a shelter. Fredeye was startled more than anything else(she really is underweight). After she showed him who was boss, Buddy did a great deal of waggling and some chasing ensued. Then the required territorial levitating ball of pigs occurred. They were pretty evenly matched so at one point I did the "hand of death" to break the tie and slapped each one's butt while they were engrossed in staring each other down. They were much relieved to have the "fights" broken up(saved face) and ended up side by side separated only by a shelter wall.

Since then there have only been the occasional bald spots - Buddy with cream hair in his mouth or Fredeye with black hair in his mouth and one interesting chunk out of Fredeye's ear that may have had nothing to do with Buddy at all(more than one diva sow in the condo). They both wander the kitchen and the living room together and it appears Buddy is enjoying rough and tumble boar company again. Conway used to perform this function until he wussed out on Buddy.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks Pinta for your story. I had abonded trio. Topica and Oreo were adopted by me in June 2004, they were 2-3 years old then. After intoductions, Cookie became bonded to them (more to Tropica than Oreo, but still the three of them were close. Cookie (6 yrs old)died from an inoperable spleen tumor on a Tuesday this past November. Tropica, who had been on heart meds for several months and appeared to be doing well, died 48 hours later, on Thursday.

They are both still in my freezer. I thought sure Oreo, who is also a heart pig and at least 8 yrs now, would join them very quickly and I wanted to cremate the three of them together. Oreo has hung on though much longer than I thought. The youngest pig in my group has taken up with her so she's not alone, which is good.

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 pm

I just got some information about Ruby and Daisy before they came to us from their previous home:

We got Ruby in March 6 years ago and she was three months old and then we got Daisy in December, she was about 6 weeks old and her mum's name was Daisy too. They had found Daisy and her brother next to a bin and the mum was pregnant at the time. They were extremely bonded because Daisy was so young. Ruby just adopted her and took care of her.

Daisy was definitely the one looking after Ruby by the time they came to live with us.

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Aww poor babies dumped by a not so loving person :( Glad they're with you now! Umm... can I see some pictures? :)

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:54 pm

This is cavy chronicles. You need to start at the beginning. They have both passed on.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Just an FYI - I don't post pics. Too complicated a process. I also don't have a digital camera making it an even more complicated process. And I'm lazy.