Show your cage III

Kitsufox

Post   » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:04 am

Since over the course of the last two months I've been modifying and perfecting my cage for the personalities and needs of my boys I figured it was time to share the major change I just finished.

Merlin and Galahad have been snarking at each other over pellets, so the kitchen wall was changed. Though it only made escape easier for Galadah, so we built the new upper deck to make a second feeding area. (Conflicts are only during pellet time for some weird reason)

It's a simple 3 square based L shape with a 2-grid long ramp made by bending grids. (Galahad sees the ramp as his new sleeping-under place). I tried to lay everything out so that zoomies will be as good as ever (possibly better, once Galahad is comfortable enough to zoom up the ramp). The front half of the upper-deck was made by cutting a grid in half.

And to think my mother already thought my cage was a monstrosity ;)

Wheekers3

Post   » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Step 2: Get used to the horrified look from friends and families!

It's lovely.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Nice cage! I know when I lived with my mom and before I had coro, I would change the cage just about everytime I cleaned it and she kept asking me how much bigger it was going to get.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like my boys are too big for just a 2x4 C&C. I really would like to have a 2X8.

Tuggell

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Finally finished my cage for my fightey pigs! Their cage doesn't fit in my room anymore, so the pigs have adopted my brother's ex-room. It's been renamed "The Pig Room".

This is their new, devided cage with Kitchen up top as soon as I'm sure they'll use the ladders. I actually underestimated the size of my chunky guys and need to go back and widen the bridge opennings, so they don't have squeeze!

I'm also trying fleece, and I found 2 cages worth on sale for $10. It was a set to tie together in a blanket actually. One peice is the bright blue in the first picture, and this is the cute peice. I love it :)

My mom says she hopes my own kids pay me back someday by surprise! adopting a giraffe, and then surprise! that giraffe needs a buddy giraffe. :) I hope so too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:09 pm

What a cute guinea pig, Tuggell! I like the lanky body!

Pikatot

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Tuggell! I love your crunchy monkey fleece. I almost got that fleece for cageliners from Jen. I like the blue fleece too. Your cage setup is really cool.

Kat

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:53 pm

I know what you mean, codyNpatches, the guineapigcages sizes actually seem really small to me!

Tuggell

Post   » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:00 pm

:D Thanks guys!

Tug is the stretchy pig. I think the dimple in his butt is funny.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:11 pm

I didn't mean that the cages are too small really. I guess once you have experienced the same pigs in a pet store cage and then a C&C, you want the biggest C&C possible! My 2x4 just seems small for my chunkies and I would like to go bigger. :)

CinnamonSpice

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:12 am

Not a CC but we dont have them here... so presenting Pig City.
The girls now only have the white water bottle, the other is at my mums for visiting time.

P.S Sorry for the quality. Taken on an iPhone.

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:43 am

That's a nice hutch Cinnamon! :)

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:54 am

Cinnamon Spice: Is there any kind of urine guard on the hutch? I remember I used to have one for BB, and it molded from the urine although I cleaned it every 2-3 days. The whole hutch only lasted about a year and it cost me 300 dollars. I will personally never go back to one. The water dripping on the wood also tends to grow mold... If you could use bedding of any kind, even if it is just straw (like I see on the bottom, which can poke a piggy's eye and really doesn't absorb anything...), it can be better than exposing the wood.

There are many alternatives to C&C Cages. I just don't want you to experience the gross results of a hutch that I did!