The Princess and the Flower

tashab

Post   » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:36 pm

About one year ago, there was a young couple who were about to celebrate their anniversary. The couple was young and happy, but they felt like something was missing in their lives. They both felt like although they were married, they weren't quite a family as there was only the two of them. However, they didn't feel that they were ready yet for children.
Both had grown up in families that had always had animal companions and they realized that was what they were missing. While they saved up a 'pet emergency fund' they discussed what sort of animal companion might complete their family. They both agreed that their schedules and apartment weren't suitable for a dog, and the one spouse had a cat allergy, so they started to look at other small pets.
After doing research some research on recommended forums on both bunnies and guinea pigs, they decided to head down to the local humane society to see some of the available animals.
The humane society had always been crowded due to their no kill policy. With it being a few short weeks until Easter, the small animal room had expanded into a second room due to an influx of unwanted bunnies. All of the cages were full and there were temporary pens set up on the floor to house all the little ones. At the same time, the main sound in the rooms was the barking of the dogs in the next section of the humane society building. It was overwhelming.
After spending a little less than five minutes in the first small animal room, the couple discovered that the spouse with the cat allergy was also very allergic to bunnies. They were saddened to have their options for animal companions narrowed even further, but decided to look in the second room. This room also seemed to be full of bunnies, and their mood lowered as they walked through the room, knowing that they would not be able to offer any of these animals a home.
Then, at the back of this room, they saw a small cage. It was lined with a towel and fully half of the cage was taken up by a pigloo. Sitting outside the door to the pigloo was a clearly terrified tri-colour guinea pig. As soon as she saw them lean over the cage, she stuffed herself into the door of the pigloo, and a different guinea pig came out into the cage. This poor girl was mostly white, but had a bald nose, bald ears, and was bald across her shoulders with deep, bloody wounds.
The couple flipped through the attached charts and after reading about how the pigs were dumped at the humane society in a cardboard box, they quickly resolved to take these poor girls home, even though they had not planned on bringing home an animal that day.
Last edited by tashab on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm so glad they found their way into your hearts and home!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:43 am

Yey, Princess and Rosie have a chronicle!

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:12 am

YEY - a new chronicle!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:46 am

Yes, a chronicle for Princess and Rosie, but no fair starting a chronicle without also posting pictures of such beautiful girls.

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Oooo, the beginnings! Yay! More, more, more! ...with pictures.... ;)-

chataignon

Post   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:37 pm

I'm so glad you decided to start a chronicle. I'm often wondering how your girls are doing!

tashab

Post   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:26 pm

The young couple tracked down a volunteer, so that they could start the adoption process for the two frightened guinea pigs.

After getting hold of a volunteer, she had to check with one of the vet staff to make sure the girls were cleared for adoption. The two pigs had apparently been in much worse shape when they were dumped.
She came back a short while later saying they girls were cleared for adoption, but that the couple had to sign a form saying we understood that they had medical issues and may continue to have medical issues in future.
Papers were signed, a cage, food, bedding and other supplies were quickly purchased from the humane society store and the adoption fee was paid.
The couple and their new charges bundled themselves into a cab for the short ride home.

Once home, the cage was quickly set-up and the two still-frightened girls quickly hid themselves in their new, larger home.

tashab

Post   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:29 pm

*blushes* Thanks all. It's been a long time since I've attempted any creative writing, so hopefully it isn't as awkward as it seems to me. Fortunately, I've got a store of photos to help distract from that!

CinnamonSpice

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:14 am

Yay! new chronicle. I quite like the sound of this one.... :)

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Distracting photos are good.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 am

I'd say people like photos better than text.

I hardly got any replies, to Robin's attempt at trying to write like Jane Austen. I get a ton more for pictures.