Pet Insurance?

AnnetteH

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Has anyone ever had success with pet insurance for guinea pigs? I have looked at some plans but they don't seem to cover much of anything.

Sassfra

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Dunno about guinea pigs....it's awful for dogs (doesn't cover anything and they'll swear up and down that a laceration needing stitches is a "pre-existing condition").

Equine insurance is a life saver...covered almost my entire colic surgery bill.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I have been looking too, but from what I have read, it isn't worth it. Maybe if you had a huge heard?

For just my two pigs, I am trying to save up an emergency fund.

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:20 pm

I live in Sweden but I have insurance on my pigs.

Last week I had a lump removed on Wille and the insurance company covered more than half the amount on the bill, about 350 U.S dollars (if my math is correct, 2500 SEK).

GuineaPinny

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

It is the only way I can afford my guinea pigs. I pay $9 a month per pig, and they paid $650 on a $1150 bill (two of the things they didn't cover). I really recommend VPI-Veterinary Pet Insurance.

They don't cover preexisting conditions, but they were very nice when my pig passed.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 pm

GP, do you have a deductible each year per pig?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Yes, it's $50.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Ok, I still have not called them. I need to. I still don't know what I want to do.

AnnetteH

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:53 pm

What kind of plan do you have. What things are covered?

pig wrangler
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:16 pm

I have policies on all my pigs from VPI pet insurance.

My vet told me that it was the only pet insurance company that he had seen that was worth the cost. He works at an animal hospital and specializes in exotics. He deals with insurance every day, and said that VPI does not give the pet owners the run around, and extreme levels of grief before paying out on a claim.

I did some research and have to say that I agree with him. Thank God that I have not had to use the insurance yet.

I pay $75 a year per guinea pig, and they cover nearly all conditions and have a low deductable.

Here is the link that covers guinea pigs, you can download a PDF file with the cost and coverage information :

http://www.petinsurance.com/Plans-And-C ... -Pets.aspx

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Do they reimburse you after you pay or does it work like people insurance, you pay what is left over?

I don't quite understand the maximum limits at the top and then some of the numbers below that are much higher?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:34 pm

As you've seen here a few people like their insurance, but many of us recommend putting the same monthly fee into a savings account instead. Many of the insurance plans require you to pay up front and be reimbursed (if they decide to) so you still have to have the cash.