Pet Insurance?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Nine a dollars a month in a savings account won't add up though, if you have a condition that pops up right away (or even after a year).

It depends on your doctor with VPI. They are willing to pay you and have you then reimburse your doctor.

AnnetteH

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Well you sold me. I signed up.

pig wrangler
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:02 pm

I have 10 full time pigs (no fosters), so insurance is a must. One contagious disease or infestation could cost thousands.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:48 pm

That's great! I'm glad you started this thread too, it reminded me to sign up my new pig.

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:27 pm

Awesome, thanks for posting this. Any experience I've had with pet insurance has been companies hassling me about signing up my dog, but none of them would cover the pigs. I'm definitely going to look into this and probably get some coverage for my piggies.

rpaws

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:35 pm

I was paging through my AAA magazine late last night and there was an article about being able to use your AAA card to get a discount on pet insurance.

I don't remember what I read - will have to review it.

pig wrangler
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 pm

It is amazing, but my company started offering pet insurance to their employees this year. They don't pay the full permium, but we do get a discount.

Ironically, they will probably drop human insurance in place of Obama-care...

Kermie831

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 pm

My vet's office said if you have a limited number of animals, it may be beneficial, but if you have a large family, its not worth it. I tallied what my per month cost would be... one and a half times my mortgage. I laughed and said if I could apply as a decent sized business, it might be worth it ;) Care credit owns my soul.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 pm

At 50 or even 75 dollars per pig per year, I can't figure how they would ever make money.

Most people who would get the insurance are going to spend between 50 - 75 a year on checkups and $250 - $1000 on senior pig health issues.

Unless of course they drop coverage when the pig gets passed a certain age and deny coverage for expensive treatments (like surgery)