Boars Behaving Badly II

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:10 am

Clairey, it must be because it's April Fools' Day. Our two wheek madly in the mornings while they're waiting for their breakfast, and the noise goes off the charts if we speak to them while we're getting it ready. This morning, nothing. Not a peep. I was late getting to the kitchen so was trying to get the kids fed first, rather than the pigs as I usually do, and the GPs didn't say a thing. Even when I talked to them, and stood there with the lettuce in my hand, they were perfectly quiet. Waiting at the side of the cage as usual, but no noise.

clairey

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:17 am

Interesting theory on them playing an April Fool! :D I wouldn't put it past them.

Alan spent and hour an a half in the little cage. After throwing the fleece around, tipping the hay out of the bowl I'd put it in to try to keep it off the fleece (Hay in a bowl hooman? Are you totally mental?) nibbling some and having a drink, he went to sleep. There were only 5 poops in that time which is slightly troubling BUT the first thing he did when I put him back with Stephen was sprint/jog/waddle to the litter tray and have a pee with such a relieved look on his face that it's possible he was trying to hold the poops in too. He's currently stuffing his face with hay.

Praying for teatime wheeks!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Oh, Alan, the indignities you have to suffer! I must have a talk with clairey!

Perhaps he was a bit gassy from the broccoli. They feel a bit off when gassy; slower passing of the poops might also indicate some GI discomfort.

Some floor time usually helps mine with minor gas discomfort.

clairey

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Well I got little noises and some laps in the build up to veggie time. Alan even busted out a popcorn at one point so I'm thinking whatever it was, he's felling better now. He certainly ate normally. I'm currently taking my sweet time about handing out the evening pellet ration in the hope of provoking some annoyed wheeks. Bad human, bad bad human.

rpaws

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 pm

It's it funny how we seem to dislike annoying behavior but if a guinea pig stops doing it, even temporarily, we worry that something is wrong with the guinea pig?

clairey

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Tell me about it!

clairey

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:26 am

Alan has his wheek and his spark back! *does happy dance* I'm now thinking it was wind. He'd not been enjoying being petted as much as usual yesterday, but at bedtime when I went to say goodnight to them, he did his big stretch, yawn and purred really loudly with his eyes shut. I knew then he was back to normal. Phew.

I'd only given them a tiny floret of broccoli broken into little pieces (so no one pig could have it all) with their usual lettuce and pepper dinner, but it is entirely possible that Alan managed to guzzle most of it and he may well be particularly prone to wind. No more broccoli ever. They've never had cabbage or anything else gas-giving and most certainly won't be now.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:06 am

I gave my boys an entire red pepper this morning because I was running so late... I just hacked it in half and threw it in there. I anticipate lots of Charlie-farting tonight. :)

Sidera17

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 am

Alden- Oh crap, red pepper makes them fart?! I just gave a whole pepper to the three of them! Nooooooo.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:14 am

peppers make CHARLIE fart. They don't have that effect on Snickers. Maybe yours will be fine?

jlthomas79

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:33 am

In the evening after all the kids are in bed. I take Shadow out and put his fleece on the couch next to me. He gets like the whole couch and I get a little corner. He will jump hop and make all sorts of funny noises. Then he hears the clicking of my keyboard and runs like a GP on fire! Hops on my lap runs back and forth on the keyboard until I pull him off. I put him on my belly and he will run up to my shoulder and normally get stuck in my hair. I honestly think he just prefers the keyboard. I can be sitting anywhere on the floor, the couch and he runs like mad to it! My daughter thinks he wants to chat with his friends online!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Sidera, not all pigs get gas from peppers. Some of mine do, the rest don't.

jlthomas, that is so funny that he likes the keyboard :)