Mouse Problems

Cavy16

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:04 pm

Hi I was wondering if Guinea Pigs might attract mice and if they do how could I keep mice from bothering them.

When I say mice I mean wild mice that live outside. I was wondering because where I live mice are rampant (exageration) outside and tend to get into the walls at my house. I wanted to know so I would be prepared in the event that I do get guinea pigs. My parents would also like to know.

I don't know if guinea pigs and hamsters are in any way simmilar but when my hamster goes into heat I think she attracts mice because I only hear them during this time. Any info would be great. Thanks.
*Cavy16*

Cari

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:10 pm

Funnily, I remember being told that guinea pigs actually keep mice and rats away. But that is probably an old wives tale, so i will hush up now and let the knowledgable ppl talk.

Cavy16

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:19 pm

Hmmm... That would be great! I only hope it is true. If this is true, I will wait until someone else confirms this, but my parents would probably be a bit more into the idea of getting a guinea pig. heehee.
*Cavy16*

Tammy

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:27 pm

I'm pretty sure the guinea pig food is attracting the mice. I had the same problem and it's actually quite scarey because it was rats instead! The wild rodents can carry disease and if your guinea pigs get biten it's not very good.

What kind of cage are they in? Mice can definitely get through CC cage grids. You'll just have to get rodent repellant. I think there's a device you can buy that sends out pulses that repell redents safely but I'm not sure if it's safe for guinea pigs too.

I try to keep everything in airtight containers and keep the cage area clean as possible.

Cavy16

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:35 pm

Well to clear things up I don't have guinea pigs yet because my parents won't let me get any right now I was just asking in case I do get some someday.
I would deffinately keep their food in air tight containers. I do so with my hamsters food. I would be putting them in a large CC cage.
Thanks for the advice. I am still wondering about if the guinea pigs themselves repell mice and rats. Do they? Does anyone on here know?
That device wouldn't probably be a good thing because I have a hamster. I wouldn't want to hurt her.
*Cavy16*

Cari

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:37 pm

I must admit, i'd like to know too. This is something my uncle said about 15 years ago tho, and you know what uncles are like!

Okay, it's been a long day and I'm babbling *goes to bed*

Cavy16

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:40 pm

Cari- Goodnight :-) and yes I do know how uncles can be. lol

lisam

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:18 pm

No. Guinea pigs do not repel mice. We have guinea pigs, and mice, too. They really couldn't care less for the pigs' food, however. They want seeds most of all, so if you have any birds or feed any wild birds that's what they want.

We invested in three Havaheart live mouse traps. We bait them with peanut butter. We released six mice within a few days!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:25 pm

This is a good reason to avoid the guinea pig mixes with seeds and nuts. We don't recommend them anyway. Now we have another reason for people to avoid them.

You can put 1/2" or 1/4"hardware cloth around whatever cage you make. The mice will be unable to enter when the cage is close and you are sleeping.

Cavy16

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:48 am

okay that makes sence (sp).

lisam- We tried to use those mouse traps where they walk in and then get stuck, we also baited them with peanut butter and ritz crackers put together. We would go check the traps in the morning and the peanut butter and crackers would be gone, and the trap would be closed but no mouse! We don't know how they did it so we saddly had to resort to the old fashioned killing traps. I really don't like using them but that is the only type that works.

Lynx- I think that whenever I do get guinea pigs I will have to try that.

Thanks all for the advice now I will be even more prepared for when my parents decide to let me get guinea pigs.
*Cavy16*

lisam

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:11 am

The traps may not have been set properly. I can't do it, I have to get one of my kids to do it for me. When I set them, the same thing happens that happened to you. But when my kids do it, it works great! Also, what was the brand of the traps you used? I really like the Havaheart ones.