Show your cage III

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Doesn't light diffuse though? Won't it evenly travel to all levels? I really want to see this cage because I am still not convinced wooden cages can work after my moldy experience with BB's old hutch! But if these shelf cages actually work and provide enough space, they could be a great alternative.

GPT

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:55 pm

My cage :D
I took the picture lob sided, the cage doesn't look like that really lol!

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:25 pm

What an improvement! How tall is the pexiglass stuff in the front? It looks like it would be a struggle to get them out... just curious, but what are the dimensions of just one floor? Often these shelf cages have inadequate space when you take away the space the ramps take. Each floor should be 7.5 square feet at least for each pig, since building up isn't as great as building out and around. Your pigs do look so amazed at the space! Congrats! I love the pooh bears :-)

GPT

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 pm

The perspex, I can't remember exactly how tall it is, but I made it so I can just about put my arm in there to feed them and stuff. Then when I need to clean or get them out, the perspex slides out. So it is very easy to clean. Each floor is 5ftx2ft, so they have more then the recommended amount for one pig (they can have a floor each if they want lol!).

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:52 pm

My only suggestion would be maybe a water bottle on each floor?

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Yes, I don't think 1 water bottle is enough for 3 pigs! My rule of thumb is 1 of everything per pig. Also, more hay! Heaps and heaps :-)

Okay, I guess the pic made it look a little smaller, or maybe your pigs are big! Haha, sounds super functional!

Hunybee

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 pm

That would be my suggestion too. Don't want them to die of thirst three floors up! :). Great cage. You'll start to see a differenc in them.

GPT

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Ya they get a load of hay heaped in a corner, but I literally had just put them in there when I snapped this picture haha. They always have hay available.

Normally they have two water bottles, right now they only have one because we are trying out a way of holding them and seeing if it works out. It isn't too bad anyway because only 2 have dared to venture the 2nd storey so far lol!

GPT

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Oh and just wanted to add I am by no means finished with this cage, I'm hoping to make a few cages and add a few things. I want to make a small area for hay on each floor, and when they get used to the cage. Each floor will serve a different purpose. Bottom floor ''Kitchen'', 2nd floor ''bedroom'' (loads of fleece and cuddly things) 3rd floor ''play area'', I will have almost nothing up there, so they can have a proper run around.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 pm

I would make sure that there is hay and water on each floor.

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:22 am

I love how much effort you put into this cage! It's a very interesting (and pretty) approach - thanks for sharing!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:29 am

It really is an amazing structure. I only mentioned the water on each floor because when one of them wants to hide out from the other two, it's nice if he can have a little drink!

I pretty much do the theme floors with mine too (although I only have two floors). Upstairs is kitchen and snuggle sack stuff; downstairs has hay but is otherwise totally for running. And rumbling, and popcorning, and humping, and chasing each other. :)