Old Man Mo's Medical Thread

Acanoffleas

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks, Lynx! I did some more detailed searching on GL, specifically osteomyelitis, and found some info that kind of eased my mind a bit. The doc did mention Osteomyelitis this morning, but I initially dismissed it b/c the foot and toes looked completely normal & healthy. I'm kind of paranoid now they're not going to take off enough...Poor Mo. He's such a trooper.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 am

Call them and bring this issue up. You only want one surgery! Have them test the whole leg for feeling. Find out exactly where they plan on cutting.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Just talked to the vet. He took xrays and confirmed bone infection in his foot and ankle. We're definitely going to have to amputate. I'm in the process of searching for info now on GL - in the meantime, tripod piggie owners out there...can you offer advice? Are we talking all the way up to the hip amputation? Femoral? I know we want to avoid a weigh-bearing stump, so...

My regular doc isn't in today, so the vet who is working w/ me is going to talk to the other docs today (they have a weekly staff meeting every Wed) and get their feedback (hopefully my reg. doc will be there as well). No surgery today, and not until we have a better formed plan of action. I'd prefer my reg doc do the surgery anyhow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Several tripods here. Do a search. Pinta was one person who had to have the surgery redone because not enough was taken off and the stump kept getting walked on and would not heal (if I remember right). Try a search on "amputation" and see if you can find discussions. They all will say the same thing (we have been giving out this same advice for years).

Acanoffleas

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Mo's scheduled for surgery tomorrow. I'm a bit of a nervous wreck. Mo on the other hand is doing fine, considering. I'm having those last minute doubts where I'm wondering if we're doing the right thing. Mo is older. But he's still got so much pep left in him. Even today I had him outside w/ me in the yard & he was all over the place, divebombing into the grass. I have no doubt that, god willing he pulls thru the surgery & anasthesia he'll learn to function as a tripod. I'm just...stressed I guess. My mom thought I was nuts when I told her what we were doing, and I think that set me back a bit in the confidence in our decision. Anyhoo, your thought and prayers would be appreciated. I'm taking him in around 8 tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:24 pm

You're experienced! I am hoping for a good outcome with many more years for you two to be together.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:09 pm

I am so relieved to write that Mo is back home and doing fantastically well. :) *squee!* He's eating like a maniac and went right over to chat w/ his brother through the cage bars when I put him back in his cage. I thought for sure he's go right for his house, but he had other plans. ;) Here are some post-op pics for those curious. Lynx, if you'd like to use these anywhere please feel free. The vet did a femoral amputation. If all goes as planned, staples will come out in two weeks.

Closer look at the staples/incision point:

And Mo chatting away w/ Jacques about his craaaaaazy day:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:21 pm

It looks very promising!! I added your pics. I hope he heals up fine and is energetic and mobile in no time!

Kermie831

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:50 am

He looks great! Congrats!

Hint from one tripod mom to another - Sometimes Cadbury needs warm washcloth to wipe his eyes since he can't stand up and wash with both his front feet. (He had his back left amputated).
He also very much appreciates that ear rubbed since he can't scratch it himself ;)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:58 am

Sending healing thoughts for Mo, and I hope he has a speedy recovery. He is very handsome!

Acanoffleas

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:36 am

Thank you, all! He's doing amazing right now. Gave him his meds this morning and he was running all over the bed like it was no big deal. I put him back in his cage and he goes right over to rumblestrut (hobble?) his butt in Jacque's face. Classic Mo. I'm so grateful he's doing so well. I'll try to keep posting pictures as he progresses. It's really remarkable.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:54 am

Hey, I was cleaning up mail and remembered we have a post on an amputation in the Records forum (Siouxsie's Hershey):

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=150

Maybe we can add a case study for Mo too (you have great pics).