Guinea Pig Market - formerly Jens Custom Crafts #3

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Fourth wash, no luck. I planned on using them today since their cage is filthy (not really disgusting, but by GL standards!) but they aren't wicking! Any advice?

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Maybe you are expecting too much out of them? I never wash mine several times before using them. The pee will eventually go through, it may just take a little longer. I would just go ahead and use them. Sorry you are having problems!

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Haha, oh no Jen! I'm sorry, my current fleece doesn't wick all the time either. It has "moods", like on certain days, it needs to be flipped over to other sides. -sigh- ;) Yeah, and when pee touches the fleece, it is "squirted" whereas the water I drip on the test it is "dripped". I'm going to put them in :) If I have GPs with wet buts tomorrow, I'll know why! Haha!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:32 pm

BeanieBaby11 - scented detergents are fine to use, if it's strongly scented just add some vinegar in the rinse to remove the scent or do a second rinse to dampen the scent more.
You really do need to use detergent to break in the fleece though, powder is best and manufacture recommended.

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks Windespirit! I'm new to all of this wicking business myself :-)

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Not a problem :-) I'll give ya another year or two to learn how to strip chemicals of fleeces :P

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Hm, I just put in the blanket and BB peed and it pooled :-( Onto 5th wash. Is this right: 1st rinse Hot with Detergent 2nd rinse warm with vinegar Dry on low heat?

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Wash/rinse warm
Dry medium (or medium-low depending on settings)

Can skip the hot water and save energy if you're putting in vinegar or using detergent w/bleach. (w/bleach is not alternative bleach)

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 pm

The detergent doesn't have bleach. My dad just yelled at me for wasting energy, guess I'll have to wait another day to do some cycles. Sadly, that means another day for BB and Muffin in a dirty cage. I guess I was stuck with the stubborn JoAnn's fleece Jen :-)

Are there any other tips or tricks? I can use anything and everything, haha! Time is money! ;-)

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 pm

That stinks. I wonder why it's giving you such a hard time. I honestly wash mine one time and then put them in the cages. I wonder if giving them a good scrub with detergent and warm water by hand would work? Perhaps with one of those bristled scrubbers? Maybe that would get the chemicals off.

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Maybe... I just used Tide Original Scent. The first 3 times I didn't use detergent though, could that be it? Bristled scrubbers? Don't know if I have one!

jedifreac

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Pee is always going to pool a little bit at first though!

Rather than test and see if it wicks right away, leave it alone for 5-10 minutes and come back. If the pee has been absorbed through, then you're okay. That isn't long enough for it to evaporate. A few more minutes after that and the surface of the fleece should be completely dry to the touch unless you press down hard.