Guinea Pig Market - formerly Jens Custom Crafts #3

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Jedifreac - I can literally squeeze the pee out of the fleece twenty minutes after - I've tried the test! Haha, but with the fleece I have now, the pee wicks instantly. I guess I got lucky!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 am

I think it's not using detergent that is giving the hard time. Think of new fleece in terms of greasy cast iron pan and dish soap. Are you going to get all the grease off in plain water, and if so, how long is going to take without the soap? Same concept, understandable terms.

Also, not all fleece is created equal !

3popcornpiggies

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:39 am

Pikatot: The pics are up, you just can't vote yet! I love the picture of Tater Tot. :)

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:29 am

Thanks Windespirit! This will be my 2nd wash with detergent (5th wash overall), so let's see how it goes!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 am

With my liners from Jen, I never had any issues. I put them in the cage the first time right out of the box.

When I use scented detergent, I usually rinse a 2nd time.

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:38 am

Yes, I rinse a second time with vinegar.

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 am

I read via Windespirit, that Joann's often switch's back and forth between fleece suppliers, so it's hard to tell if it will work right away or take several washes. I've been lucky with any that i've used for myself.

That was an excellent way of describing them Windespirit!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Correct on the suppliers. There is, that I know of, 3 different plants that fleece is made. And like things that we sew are similar yet different, so are those fleeces. But still, even the same plants can put out new runs of fabric that will act just like another. First run fabrics is usually a prize to have in the sewing world, not so much for piggie things unless you can strip the fabric, and that's if the heat was not to high while making.
(I'm sure you recall about 2 years ago the big problem with the anti-pill looking & feeling like sponge. Some is still floating around in the stores)

This is why I'm so picky and don't like buying on line.

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:14 pm

2nd detergent wash - still no wick. Onto the third... I just hate the prep! But the solid pink liner you sent as a makeup won't wick either Jen. Isn't that made up of the fleece you have in stock already?

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Yeah, that pink was already in stock. Maybe it is your detergent.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:25 pm

BB, even is it was fleece that was in stock, it depends on the particular fleece. I've had both anti-pill and blizzard that wicked after one wash and I've had some that won't wick after 7-8 washes.

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm

I just use Tide Original Scent. Nothing special about it. It is powdered, and remember, the fleece wouldn't wick even w/o detergent. This is the same detergent I used to make my current fleece wick.