August is looking better for us

clairey

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:14 am

Aw, how sweet that Mumble picked the friend that Sydspigs had fallen for online.

Nice to meet you, Michaela. I'm sure you'll be very happy in your new home.

Pikatot

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:39 am

Aww I'm glad Mumble found a friend and that she's warming up well to the new place!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am

Spice feels it's time to talk about the boys here! Something about equal rights!

Spice showing off one of the new cuddle cups in his cage:

Pumpkin and Spice getting a little cuddle with Pumpkin's person:

Spice showing off his well trained person:

The boys have been going at each other a bit more lately. It seems they do best if we provide two of everything (exactly the same) and a place for Spice to chill out that blocks his view of Pumpkin. Nothing scary yet, just chasing, rumbling, and chattering. The boys are turning one next month so maybe in a few months they will calm down? Any general guesses as to when this adolescence nonsence stops? Or is it similar to humans and they'll mature on their own timeline?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:22 pm

The Pumpkin and Spice people are cute!!!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Thanks Lynx! They definitely are keepers. ;)

Proud Mom Moment (Sorry, this part is totally indulgent):
Sydspigs and Big sister have done a wonderful job with our guinea pigs. They came up with their own system of who is in charge of sweeping the cage and making the salad each morning before school (we have a menu posted on the fridge). Big sister checks the pellet, hay and water levels every night before she goes to bed. It's a great stall tactic, but I let it go. The rest of the guinea pig's care is done as a team. All in all I'm proud of the system, no one is overwhelmed and it all gets done willingly.

News from Mumble & Michaela:
These two are doing great! They are getting along more and more each passing week and we’ve been able to put igloos back in the cage and there have been no fights over whose is whose. I do notice some defensive pee sprays some weeks during the weekly cleaning, but I’m guessing those are hormone related.

Notice how Mumble is letting Michaela use the purple igloo:
ImageLet's not talk about who has serious everything-must-match issues and needed to buy a pink igloo(me).

Role reversal:
We’ve had a complete role reversal happen this past week with Pumpkin and Spice and I need some input. For as long as we’ve had them, Spice has been the dominant one. He has been the chaser, rumble strutter and hard for anyone except Big sister to catch. Even our kindergartener would stop by the cage to tell Spice to “stop chasing him!” and “You should be nice to your brother!” This past Monday I decided they needed a bath. Their grease glands were in need of some attention and there was an “air” about them (granted the effects of a bath on boar stank proved to be fleeting). Now ever since Monday, Pumpkin has been a pain! He’s been chasing Spice around with the clear intent of mounting and Spice has taken to hanging out in the litter pan for safety. He’s also much easier to catch. What is going on? Did the bath do this? Could Spice be getting sick? He hasn’t lost any weight and is still eating. Is Pumpkin just growing up? Help! I liked it better when Spice was in charge: he never tried to mount Pumpkin!

Relief from my pesky brother!
Who me? I’m too sweet to be a bother!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Michaela is settling in nicely and I thought I'd share some pictures of last weekend's floortime.

Mumble: Hey Michaela, did you hear Nascar's on this Sunday?

Michaela: Seriously. Don't. Care.

Michaela: But this Nascar cozy is really comfy!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:33 pm

I should also add that the boys have settled down. My guess is that the bath messed with them a little, since now that they are smelly again, order has returned.;)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:04 am

Very cute pictures! The girls look so content. :)

Did you make the pink Nascar cuddle cups? They are pretty!

It is wonderful that everyone is settling down. Congratulations on being able to use the Pigloos again!

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks ! I did make the cuddle cups. I make all their tunnels and cuddle cups. It's turned into quite an obsession for me. The fleece has to match the cuddle cups which must match the tunnel, and so on.

I'm glad the girl's contentment comes shining through. They both deserve to be happy and content! I was watching them last night and heard some purring type sounds between them. It made my heart glad.

A quick question: Both girls have recurring foot spurs. I keep an eye on them, but is there anything I can put on it to soften them up?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 am

Your cage accessories are great!

This thread has some suggestions for moisturizing dry feet:
Possible foot spurs?

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks! I need to order more shampoo soon anyway. I'll look into the ointment.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Pumpkin and Spice are adorable!