Boars Behaving Badly II

Hunybee

Post   » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Ok today was bath day and cage cleaning day. They got their bath together. Daughter held Jasper while Nikka got dried, so they were both out of the cage together and got put in the cage together. For the last two hours poor Nikka has been subjected to the worst humping. I had to put Jasper in jail, the travel cage, which is sitting in the cage. Nikka is finally getting to eat in peace. I know it's going to start up again as soon as I let him out. Is there any thing I can do to end this quicker?

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:30 am

Sidera, I'm thinking it would be loads of fun to watch your piggies and your mum in action.

Sidera17

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 am

Were Jasper and Nikka together before the bath? They might need to reestablish dominance bc of the bath.

Hunybee

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Yes, they were. I think Jasper needs to put his smell all over Nikka again. Nikka is just too laid back to fight back. I hear the squealing and bickering, but Nikka doesn't run away from him. BUT if I take Jasper out even for a few minutes, Nikka popcorns. It's almost as if he's happy to be getting a few minutes of uninterrupted peace.

Then last night was the chirping. They freaked the poor dogs out.

Sidera17

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:01 pm

Did Jasper normally do this to Nikka, or has it gotten worse since the bath? It's good that nobody's fighting and drawing blood. I think they might need to get used to each other again. Nikka is probably just annoyed. I mean, I would be. *lol*

Maybe you could try them in a divided cage? Either that, or try a floor time where they just let it all out. You know, poops on the floor, hay everywhere, the whole deal. If it gets too rough in my house, I take out the humped pig and give him extra cuddles.

GPT

Post   » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I seperated the boys for awhile after Pinky gave Toffee a bloody nose but Toffee was upset and managed to get back in with the rest of the boys. I haven't seen any serious fights since. I haven't seen any new cuts or scabs or anything. As you can tell, I am really reluctant to take them apart, because the only place I could put Toffee is somewhere where he wouldn't be able to see the other two boys and I wouldn't be able to get him a friend.

Anyone know how come they got so viscious with each other after they moved to a BIGGER cage? It has been two weeks.

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:04 am

So, this is what happened last night:

3AM- The house is quiet.
Sidera: *wakes up from a bad dream* AHH!!
*Downstairs, the bell starts ringing*
Sidera: Spike.......... ZZzz.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:48 am

Aww. :)

This morning when I put two chunks of green pepper in the cage, Charlie wouldn't come upstairs (snacks are only served upstairs). He was sitting down there wheeking hopefully but not even really TRYING to come upstairs. Snickers, of course, had grabbed a chunk of pepper and positioned himself at the top of the ramp so Charlie would have to pass him to get up. I kept moving Snickers and he kept running back there.

Finally, Charlie made a determined face, ran up the ramp, leaped right OVER Snickers, grabbed his chunk of pepper, and flung himself into the upstairs litter box.

It was adorable, but now I'm kind of worried that Charlie's getting bullied again. I think Snickers threatens him with the stew pot when I'm not home!

sammianne

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:54 am

GPT - A properly secured divider of grids (cubes) should not allow the pig to get back into the other part of the cage. That being said, if the boys are now getting along alright and no longer fighting, leave them alone and let them be pigs.

Was the bigger cage a brand new cage? Even if it was just the old cage expanded at least it was partially new. New cages+pairs/herds of pigs =figuring out who the boss of the new cage is all over again.

clairey

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:22 am

Spring has sprung in the pigpen. Stephen has the desire to hump again, though nowhere near the urge he had when the teenage hormones were rife. He never actually achieves his goal. Alan has developed a comedic trot which involves attempting to kick Stephen in the face every few steps. They've gotten into high-octane face to face tooth-chattering wars a couple of times but sooner or later Stephen always backs down. It usually takes Alan lunging at him with intent before Stephen slinks away. How Alan, such a mellow pig, is the alpha I have no idea but I am very thankful. If Stephen and his boarly urges were in control it'd be a very different place in there.

GPT

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:58 am

I don't have a C&C cage, so I can't really seperate like that but ya they aren't fighting now.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm having spring fever issues, here, too. Carrot Cake and Hermes have lived together in "relative" peace for over a year and a half, and today, Carrot's been trying to hump Hermes for the past 3 hours non-stop. Poor guy can't come out of his pigloo without being ambushed. I have no idea what started it. There are absolutely no changes in their lives right now.