Mushrooms?

User avatar
tia2370

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:29 pm


My boyfriend just asked about mushroom for the piggies. We're out and about and have limited web access. Could someone explian why they can't have them? I'm pretty sure they can't. Am I correct?

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:38 pm


Mushrooms, particularly raw ones of certain variates (I can't remember them all but they are ones commonly eaten by people raw and cooked), can contain toxins that can affect people negatively. Thus I wouldn't risk it. As far as I know cavies aren't really designed to eat fungi like mushrooms.

User avatar
PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:16 pm


Cavies are grass eaters/grazers. Their diet is more similar to a horse or cow than it is to ours.

User avatar
Feylin

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:39 pm


It's not on the list in the care guide. If you want to be adventurous, things with chlorophyl are usually a better bet i've found- mint, cress, dill, ect.

jedifreac

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:45 pm


Mushrooms are a fungus, not a plant!

User avatar
tia2370

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:15 pm


That's kind of what I figured. He wanted to exactly why they couldn't have them. I told him that they weren't listed as safe and he asked why, again. I figured it was because they were a fungus but told him I'd ask you guys. The piggies enjoyed a nice treat of grass today. We're hoping to take them outside some this summer in a modified store cage that we use for travel.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:19 pm


I can't think of them being all that nutritious. I guess I would rather be safe than sorry. They just don't sound like a very good guinea pig food!

User avatar
rshevin

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:34 pm


I honestly can't think of a good reason tia. I agree completely with better safe than sorry, that they have the potential to be toxic, and no real nutrition. When you balance the risk with the lack of benefit that's the only real reason I can come up with. I think those are very GOOD reasons, and I'd never feed them, but I don't have the kind of answer I think he wants.

User avatar
Kat

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:50 pm


I've been wondering the same thing, as my parents keep offering me mushrooms to feed the pigs. I can never tell them exactly why they're not for pigs, and would really like to know!

User avatar
pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:47 am


Mushrooms contain monomethyl hydrazine when they are uncooked and that's very toxic to piggies.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 pm


Pigjes, yes that's the toxin I was thinking of, thank you (I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called). I know it's not great for people either, though that doesn't stop some people from eating raw mushrooms anyway.

User avatar
pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:44 am


Indeed, it's toxic to humans too. It gets destroyed when being cooked or baked, most of it. The residue doesn't harm us. Well, eating raw mushrooms, the reason why some do that .... ; )

User avatar
Fifi

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 am


I was wondering if they can pumpkin? I really havent come across anywhere that says they can or cant.

User avatar
Kateo

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 am


Pumpkin isn't harmful to guinea pigs - it suggests on the hand feeding page to add cooked pumpkin to critical care if your guinea pig seems disinterested - but like any "treats", it should be fed sparingly.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:15 pm


You wouldn't give it regularly but once and a while is likely fine (and does seem to be used in canned, unsweetened form for roughage when hand feeding ill pigs mixed with Critical Care.

User avatar
Feylin

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:44 pm


I actually like to give mine canned pumpkin as a treat so that they are used to it should they become ill and need Critical Care. It's also useful for mixing in medications if you have a pig who needs a little bit of tricking into taking the meds.

I give them the pumpkin treats from a syringe too, so that they are used to the whole process.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:01 pm


Oh, that's a good idea, Feylin! Now that I think of it, some people occasionally give Critical Care for the same reason (so they are familiar with the taste).

User avatar
pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:34 pm


I had to hand feed Druppy for 3 weeks before she died and I always mixed a bit of veggies as juice, to add with the CC equivalent we have here, instead of pure water: that sure kept her very eager to eat!!! She didn't lose her appetite and she looked forward to her feedings. She ate more than required because of it.

User avatar
Fifi

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 pm


So its kinda a treat,is it best cooked? I have a pumpkin in the fridge.

User avatar
rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:42 pm


Raw pumpkin is just fine. Cooked is only preferred when you're going to mix it with critical care.

Post Reply
25 posts