Mushrooms?

Fifi

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 am

I was wondering if they can pumpkin? I really havent come across anywhere that says they can or cant.

Kateo

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 am

Pumpkin isn't harmful to guinea pigs - it suggests on the hand feeding page to add cooked pumpkin to critical care if your guinea pig seems disinterested - but like any "treats", it should be fed sparingly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:15 pm

You wouldn't give it regularly but once and a while is likely fine (and does seem to be used in canned, unsweetened form for roughage when hand feeding ill pigs mixed with Critical Care.

Feylin

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:44 pm

I actually like to give mine canned pumpkin as a treat so that they are used to it should they become ill and need Critical Care. It's also useful for mixing in medications if you have a pig who needs a little bit of tricking into taking the meds.

I give them the pumpkin treats from a syringe too, so that they are used to the whole process.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Oh, that's a good idea, Feylin! Now that I think of it, some people occasionally give Critical Care for the same reason (so they are familiar with the taste).

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:34 pm

I had to hand feed Druppy for 3 weeks before she died and I always mixed a bit of veggies as juice, to add with the CC equivalent we have here, instead of pure water: that sure kept her very eager to eat!!! She didn't lose her appetite and she looked forward to her feedings. She ate more than required because of it.

Fifi

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 pm

So its kinda a treat,is it best cooked? I have a pumpkin in the fridge.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Raw pumpkin is just fine. Cooked is only preferred when you're going to mix it with critical care.

Fifi

Post   » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:57 pm

excellent

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 am

Humoring myself a moment on the why not of mushrooms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but penicillin is made/derived from fungus. Piggies can not have penicillin.
Bound to of been truth in that since both of them will send me straight to the ICU.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:10 am

Is cooked pumpkin softer or something (why it's better for critical care)? I've never cooked it so I have no idea what the consistency is like.

WindeSpirit, great point, I completely forgot about that. I'm sorry that happened to you.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:39 am

When cooked pumpkin takes on a consistency not unlike cooked mashed potatoes. Generally people who need cooked pumpkin just buy the canned stuff, taking care that it's plain pumpkin with no added sugar or spices.

PCN is made from a variety of bread mold. Is mold a fungus? I don't remember.