Boars Behaving Badly II

Feylin

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:10 pm

GPT- what kind of cage do you have? Did you build one for your pigs?

You can weigh them each day at the same time and if you see steady weight loss in one pig you know that he is being bullied away from food and needs to live on his own.

clairey

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Feylin, GPT's cage is here :

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 19#1715919

and here:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 61#1718461

I do wonder if the particularly the depth of the cage is causing issues. It makes it very hard for the pigs to avoid each other when they all end up on the same level.

What are the actual measurements of each level, GPT?

Kat

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm

*Sigh* I came home last night to find Mr. Fuzzbucket standing in a corner of the cage, looking scared to death. After awhile, Bumby started chasing him (the chasing has been going on since I introduced them) and then gave him a big bite, ripping out a bunch of fur. I picked Mr. Fuzzbucket up, and found he had wounds all over him. Mostly on his left side and his behind, which I think all happened yesterday, but I can't be completely sure. My poor baby Fuzzbucket!

I separated them by putting a divider in their cage. So, they can still see each other and talk to each other. I don't want to try putting them back together until Mr. Fuzzbucket's wounds heal. I used a weak salt solution last night to clean them, and will get some betadine today. Mr. Fuzzbucket is such a sweet pig, I feel so sorry for him.

Their cage always had 2-3 of everything, plenty of space and always 2-3 hideys with multiple entrances and exits. It may be that I just need to let their teenage hormones calm down.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:39 pm

:-(

Poor Mr. Fuzzbucket! I always feel bad for the picked on pigs.

WildRye

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Does anybody know if (adolescent) boars go through waves of hormones? My boys will live in relative peace for a few days, then have a couple days where they bicker incessantly. And repeat. It's all very normal boarly behavior, and no one's ever been injured beyond a few nose scratches. Probably just a puberty thing, right? They're about 10 months old. How long can I expect these 'mood swings' to last?

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:03 am

Until they're about a year and a quarter to a year a half.

Then they seem to settle down in my experience.

Sidera17

Post   » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:38 am

Poor little Fuzzbucket. I hate it when they get bullied. :( I want to give him cuddles.

The battle for supremacy of the kitchen continues between Chex and my mom. Yesterday, Chex left what can only be described as as foot-long pee puddle. Big Mamma was not pleased. XD

clairey

Post   » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 am

WildRye - going by my boys, yes the hormones come in waves. As time went on the peaceful gaps between outbursts became longer and longer. My boys are almost 18 months old now and apart from a little burst of spring fever they are as settled and calm as I could ever want them to be. *knocks on wood*

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am

Guess what my boy piggies did this morning.

They decided that they really like their Weaver cuddle cups under their step stools. They like them so much they want to sit and poo and pee in them.

Now I don't think this is usually a problem but these where new Weaver cups and the step stools are kinda short, so piggies feel very secure in them. (For example Guinea Pig Fun uses higher ones.) So its been fine all week, then when I get them out this morning, both have yellow bottom, bum fur. Both!

I got Robin out and put him on my white shirt I was going to be wearing to work. Then when I move him to my lap and its like what the heck is on my shirt. Its yellow. Pick Robin up his lower bottom belly is stained yellow. So I thought it was just Robin, who is my cuddlepig and all around homebody. Then I pick up Linus the Indie 500 pig. Same thing. So I look at the cuddle cups, notice huge pee stains in the bottom.

So I took the cuddle cups out. I'm going to clean their cage tommarrow. Linus was giving me looks of what happened to my bed, but then he went head first into in hay hammock. I think this was from how I had the cage set up and the fact that I hadn't washed the weaver cuddle cups at all yet. I think the step stools will only be sans cuddle cups for floor time.

GPT

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:13 pm

I can't remember the exact measurements but I do agree with you because sometimes bumping into each other sparks off a fight and most of the time they are too lazy to move from the bottom level cause that is where the food is lol!

It's too late now though :( If I could make the cage again I'd make the depth a bit bigger and maybe a little in the length

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Are cavies affected "amorously" by spring? James has been humping Alistair like crazy since spring hit and Alistair gets all rumbly with him, naturally. They can't seem to decide right now whether they ador or hate each other; half the time they're humping rumbling or backing each other into a corner threateningly and the other half they're sharing a pellet dish or sleeping nex to each other. Though lately they've taken to sleeping at opposite ends of the cage even.

jaybeebrad

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Mapleowl - I gave up keeping my pigs out of their poo LONG ago. They're so selective too. One side of the cage is where most of their poop goes, but certain poops they like to drop right under their pigloo for sleeping on. Fortunately my long-hair is VERY finicky and snotty, so there's very rarely any matting. Granted I keep him shorn - I call it his k.d. lang cut - but still, any kind of a mess and he throws a tantrum!