Hay Holders Unsafe and Alternatives

Charzard03

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Sorry for bumping this again, you wanted to see what they looked like, I've gotten the pictures developed now (Sorry for the wait, I've been busy with school and exams)
Image I wish I could remember the brand of them now, the pigs seem fine with it, its a little harder to get hay out but they manage fine with it, plus I put piles on the floor and in paper bags for them to play in :3 I might be getting a bigger hay rack soon though as this one seems a little small :3 I found a nice big silver one the other day so I may get that one and switch them over sometime.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:42 pm

I have found empty large oatmeal boxes work well. They are the same idea as toilet paper tubes - but you can stuff a whole lot more hay into the oatmeal boxes. Open up both ends so the piggies can all eat at once.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:50 pm

I will have to dig around for pictures of mine and see what people think.

I am doing a cage redesign and it might be a good time to switch to a hay hammock. or pile? Mine eat fabric so I am not sure if it would work.

I currently have a modified hay tower strapped to the side of the cube. They can't jump into it, and have access to the hay on the bottom which is open. It works like a gravity feeder for hay. Do you think there is any danger they will get caught in it?

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ge&start=0

on page 35 of the above thread I have a picture

DaCourt

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 pm

I used that same hay rack for a while. I think that is totally safe. As long as the pigs aren't babies. I actually had mine supporting the loft so it was like having a cover on it.

egustavson

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:02 am

I recently started using toilet paper tubes in addition to the hay box. My pigs love them! I think they like pulling the strands out because they get some resistance when the tubes are stuffed full of hay. Who would have known they would like something so simple and cost free?

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:34 am

I'm using the wire baskets from Target that go on modular metal shelves. I think the corners are a LITTLE wide so I've blocked off each corner with a sheet of plastic. They're really easy to hook on and off the cage and seem to work fine.

Melody R

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:47 am

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 8&start=40

I accidently posted my experience with these hay mangers on an old thread. But please read it to see what can happen before it does!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Melody, I am so sorry. I just read that thread.

VickyNelson

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:02 am

I've just taken my hay rack out. I have never had any problems with it but I am not prepared to risk it!