New and Have a Few Questions

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:03 pm

More than likely the pigs are on an alfalfa pellet. Most pellets at the pet store are. It is perfectly fine to buy hay and pellets at a pet store. Oxbow is the best you will find there. I choose not to shop at stores who sell animals, but do not hold it against anyone who does.

Like I said, you do not have to use Timothy hay. Just make sure what you use is a grass hay. Hay can last for years if stored properly.

The shipping at KM is scary, but trust me, if you do the math you will probably come out cheaper or about the same as hay bought at a store or ordered online.

I would find out what pellets they are on. If they are alfalfa and it isn't a good pellet then you can switch them right over to Oxbow or KM.
Last edited by codyNpatches on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babzy

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Okay so I bought a 25lb package of timothy hay from Kleenmama's, hoping it will be here by the time I get the girls or at least soon after. What do you find best to put the hay in when feeding it to your piggies? I was thinking about buying one of those corner litter box things to put it in because I think that the hay holders will get more hay on the floor.

Hopefully I can find some fleece blankets on clearance since they are going out of season!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:06 pm

You can make your own hay holders, use paper lunch bags, or purchase a safe hay holder. Just make sure any hay that gets on the floor is taken out every day so it doesn't mold.

GPT

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Congrats on soon becoming a piggy Mammy :)
It is great you did your research before you got your piggies, it sounds like they are going to have a great home!

Shana531

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Good luck with your future piggies!

If you buy from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ you can get 50lbs of oxbow timothy hay and only pay 5.99 for shipping including all other items in your purchase. It also has other great supplies on there for your pigs and other animals too. Sometimes when you buy certain items in bulk (6 or more) there is a discount price.

I usually buy my fleece by the yards and then cut and sew to the size needed at home.

Keep us updated :)

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:17 pm

I keep forgetting about their $5.99 shipping!

Babzy

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Ah I almost had a heart attack when I saw your post Shana but I think that I paid around the same price from KM. But actually I think if I got the 50lb one it would have been less.... hmm I'll definitely remember it for next time.

codyNpatches the paper bag idea is great. I'm just trying to find the most inexpensive ways to do things, but still be sure they have everything they need. Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks GPT I'm so excited about getting guinea pigs!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:32 pm

My hay rack is a square grid storage thingie from Target, but I don't think that would work in your cage.

I also use paper sacs and toilet paper tubes (cut down the middle so no injuries will happen) in addition to their regular hay rack.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:41 pm

You can buy regular fleece blankets but you may need to cut them to size as needed. The fleece at Joanns and etc. tend to be prettier or have more patterns but you may not care about that.

Does the farm have other types of grass hay? It doesn't have to be timothy. Orchard is fine too.

Feylin

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Here is a hay rack i made out of a bent grid:

You can use whatever hay rack you have (or end up buying), but it works really well to have a kitchen area under it that has some type of litter. I made my kitchen with extra coroplast, but other people have used kitty litter boxes. That keeps a lot of hay off the fleece.

Babzy

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm not sure what type of other hay the farm my boyfriend lives on grows. He is just renting out a house there and helps out with the farm work, but I thought he knew more about it. I'll have to make him ask.

Those hay racks are awesome I just don't have a C&C cage (I bought a Midwest one). I think I will definitely do the kitchen idea though, very clever. Both of your guinea pigs are so cute! I'm going to look into the thread about hay racks now and probably purchase a safe one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:54 pm

You can also feed high quality orchard grass. See if you can find that locally (second cut, soft not stiff stems).