WARNING: Unsafe hay holder

jedifreac

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:39 pm

They're just trying to scare you. I mean, their product injures animals and they're threatening YOU for informing people?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm

That is nuts, Catie Cavy. I would just ignore them.

Suisan

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 pm

They can't sue you for communicating with them about a product you felt was dangerous. All they need to do is communicate back with you.

Just ignore them.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:29 pm

They're barking up the wrong tree and trying to scare you Catie Cavy, they have nothing viable and even if they tried, even their own lawyers could see they'd be setting themselves up. I think it's more out of injured pride if you ask me. You notified them with concern, end of story. It was foolish on their part for creating an account here and sticking foot in on Ware's part. They put their own name in the mix and only themselves to blame. Actually, I'd say you did pretty darn good Catie Cavy! I hear Internet harassment isn't much of a laughing matter either, just saying.

Charzard03, no those are not the solid sides I mentioned earlier. Actually for a guinea pig, the solid ones would be pointless anyhow, guinea pigs are not tall enough to reach in them.
As far as you asking about what you are using there (or linked to), I think you already know I'd toss them in a heartbeat. Perhaps if you made a solid top and sides it would be safer, some others have done that and removed doubt of them getting on top and injuring legs. Would just need a bit of left over coroplast.

lissie

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:58 am

I wonder if there's a way to get these manufacturers to recall their unsafe products.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks guys. I needed some reassurance. The emails from the company have been a little bizarre. I basically emailed them saying did they know that several guinea pigs had died after being stuck in one of their hay feeders. They responded that they did not manufacture the hay feeder in question. I basically said okay, fine, but they kept emailing me saying no, not fine: You said our product kills guinea pigs and now your email is being referred to our legal counsel for further action.

I don’t know why I even expected the manufacturer to respond positively in the first place. Like they were going to say, “Thanks for letting us know. We had no idea. We’ll stop manufacturing the item immediately and will change the design.” If capitalism doesn’t even care about people (I’m thinking of the 29 miners recently killed -- will Massey’s attorneys be contacting me now?), why did I expect it to care about guinea pigs.

I had also emailed the Consumer Product Safety Commission yesterday to see if they had any jurisdiction but they said they don’t handle pet safety issues. They suggested contacting either the Humane Society or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. I’m not sure if anyone wants to do this. I obviously don’t have enough information about the product(s) involved to do this myself.

Suisan

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:07 am

There is no "The Humane Society". There's the HSUS, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish -- they're hardly a humane society, but more of a lobbying society. And the ASPCA operates only in New York with little to no distribution of funds or resources anywhere else.

But people assume that there's one overarching "humane society" in America which supports all the local ones. That's because ASPCA takes a national position on various legal issues and bills before Congress. However, no where on their website will you find how they support other animal welfare organizations, even in the state of New York.

All that being said, if you want to get a product recalled, the best way to do it is to create pressure on the manufacturer so that they stop producing it on their own. It's going to have to be a grassroots effort.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 am

They may be foreign and misunderstand things. Or belong to some group that thinks threats of suing solve all.

How many people here have had personal experience with their pig dying due to the poor design of one of these?

I would be happy to make up a warning page if we can gather the pertinent info and first hand accounts of deaths.

Charzard03

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Wow thats crazy Catie Cavie! They're threatening legal action for what was pretty much, was a reveiw of their product?

and Windespirit, with my cage being wooden and laminate, I dont have any coroplast, plus its so hard to find down here. I dont think the racks are worth the worry so i've removed it now. Do you think it'd be worth getting this one http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/c ... ries/93108 providing I made a lid for it? does that one look safe for piggies?

2piggies77

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:53 am

please be wary of this type of manger. I heard one of my pigs squeel so loudly that the cats and I both ran to the cage. Turns out she had pulled it down got her fur stuck and had a huge long tuft pulled out.

She is OK but don't take a chance and use this manger.[/img]

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:06 am

I have always been leery of hay racks from the start which is why I always put hay in an open kitty litter pan lined with wood stove pellets. No matter what you do there is always going to be a bit of a mess with hay (always some pulled onto the fleece a bit) but it's part of pig ownership. And they LIKE plowing through it and sitting in it.