Got creative with a "hay rack"

CTMHgal

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 pm

So, I was refilling my wild bird cake feeder, and a light bulb went off. It makes a fantastic hay rack, with only minimal modification! I put choroplast on the inside so it can hang on the outside of the cage (by binder clips), and not drop hay on my carpet. The squares are only about 1" diameter, so no one can get stuck. It also snaps open and shut, so no chance of someone climbing in. It's very safe and secure! LOVE IT!!!

LainLockey

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:47 pm

What a great idea! They are fairly easy to find and are usually affordable too :) I will totally jump on board this bandwagon!

LunaKwik

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:58 pm

Yep, those work really well. We have the one with 1" grids on all sides. When we were looking at hay racks, we did not like the "pig" ones, so we wandered around until we found these.
We clip the door open against the cage, you would not believe how much piggy body can be squished in there to search for the tastiest bits!
Adding the chloroplast to the back sounds like a really good idea to keep the hay in place.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:08 am

Picture anybody? I have no idea what those are :)

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:14 am

You mean the suet cages? That's a great idea, but I'd still love a pic to see how you're implementing it.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:24 am

I use old cereal boxes, old shipping boxes and such as hay holder.
Cut a good sized slit out in the front, punch 2 holes in the back, and voila, a hay holder! :)
*cough*
And yes, it also holds pigs when it empty!

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 am

That? is adorable.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:21 am

Great idea. These are the ones you're talking about, right (style I mean)?

I've looked at those and also wondered if they would work as a hay rack. It's so weird how we'll see something and think "that would make such an awesome ____ for my cavy!" I'm glad I'm not one the only ones who does that.

That is extremely adorable, CuteMomomi.

3popcornpiggies

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:36 am

HELLO KITTYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! I have heard of you momo as being the HK lover like myself. Did you ever see the pics in the Windespirit Sewing for a Cause thread? If not, I have some cute pics to show you that you'll love!! :)

Cool idea CTM! Pics? Or maybe its the same as Cinnabuns?
I do that all the time Cinnabuns!! Tonight I was at Souplantation and I was like oh I can make a wonderful guinea pig salad with all of this stuff! haha

Hunybee

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:40 am

Cutemomomie, I love that pic of the leg sticking out!

Free GP leg with every box of cereal you buy! Comes complete with furry head too. :)

I've been having problems finding a good hay holder that doesn't cost a fortune. Currently the hay is in a mound on the second level. They walk on it, lay in it, and God knows what else in it. I throw away a lot of wasted hay.

This bird feeder would work perfectly. It would be ok to hang on the inside of the cage wouldn't it?

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:06 pm

3popcornpiggies, I know what you mean, I can't go into a vegetable section of any store or stand without thinking of the cavies. Even if I'm picking up vegetables for us people.

LunaKwik

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:39 pm

That is the one, ours only has one door which we clip to the side of the cage. Ours is placed sideways, flush with the floor. You can shove quite a lot of hay in it, and they can still access it fairly easily from any direction.

CTMHgal

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Yes, that pic is similar to the one I'm using. Mine latches closed and doesn't have suction cups. I did take the "landing pad" off of the sides that the birds use. I threw those away, but only after looking for any possible way to use them in the cage. Nothing came to mind, so out they went. It's great, and it was only $5 at WalMart too!

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 pm

I don't understand what you're using the coroplast for, though. Can you show us a picture?

3popcornpiggies

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Hahaha totally agree with you Cinnabuns! :)

15 posts • Page 1 of 1