Sakura - Medical Thread

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:56 pm

That is a big stone/sludgie...
Poor girl...

I too am amazed she has not experienced much pain and discomfort.
I understand your worry about the surgery, especially with Ginny's shadow hanging over you...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Yes, that is a fairly large stone! Perhaps he is not confident about doing the surgery?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:15 pm

"Are we 115% sure that's a stone and not an admittedly nasty large cloud of sludge?"

I'll have to ask. He seemed sure that it was a stone. Sakura hasn't passed any sludge. I've not seen any signs of sludge, and I've been changing her cage bedding twice a day (it gets messy so fast when she's leaking).

The entire white "stone" area isn't the entire "stone". I think he said that the lower, brighter area was the stone, and the lighter white part around it was her bladder.

Can a large bladder stone be felt from the outside of her body? Does sludge feel different than a stone? Now I am curious.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:46 pm

"Can a large bladder stone be felt from the outside of her body?"

Yes, but I think it has to be pretty darn big, one, and it will also depend on the stone's placement. Capybaras had to deal with this.

I would think a stone would feel hard and firm, and sludge a little easier to push around. I would think. I am **not** a radiologist. It's just that the other stone radiographs I've seen on here, and in our own pigs, the stone has been baldly clearer than that. That rad looks more like our very (admittedly very, very, very) sludgy girl. If the sludge is bad enough, though, it ends up affecting the pig just about the same as a stone. Our sludgy girl was bleeding and screaming in pain all the way to the vets' office right before her surgery (this was a few years ago). She wasn't completely obstructed but near enough to make her feel horrible and me a total mess. They did surgery and scooped her out, essentially the same as they would have for a stone.

Ultrasound may (or may not) give you more information. It may be worth an ask.

Alibabble

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:37 am

My Timothy is 4 and going to have a cystotomy next week. How comfortable is your vet getting blood from a pig? Pre-anesthetic bloodwork might significantly increase his comfort level, I know it's definitely helping my vets feel more comfortable. Although, not so much pre-anesthetic since we did have to do a very brief (15 minutes including induction) anesthetic in order to get the sample.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:09 am

My Spin had one cystotomy at 4 and a half and one at 5 years and 9 months old. I think it is all a matter of the piggie's general health and the surgeon's skill.

That looks like a giant stone to me :(

Poor Sakura!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:39 am

Also, if the wall of the bladder has thickened considerably over time, palpating stones may be difficult to nigh impossible. Xrays are definitely superior.

Have you tried any vibration and subcues? What does her urine look like? Do you see piles of calcium deposits?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Yikes! Poor Sakura. If that's a stone, it's pretty huge. I agree that it looks a little fuzzy compared to most images I've seen (of my guys and others'), but that one view of the stone could be partially obstructed by sludge -- making the stone look less clearly defined. I would want to see it from a couple of other angles.

Four is not too old for surgery, in my book, if the pig is in otherwise good health and the vet is knowledgeable. Bassy was 4 when he had his stone removal surgery -- but of course, his was a critical situation. He was in a lot of pain and there was a growing risk of obstructon, so it had to be done.

I also agree with your vet; if that's a stone, it's not going to pass on its own. I'm just really surprised that a stone that size wouldn't cause any discomfort. :\

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:22 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and little Sakura.

I echo everyone else. The image is fuzzy, but goodness if that's a stone it's ginormous. When we were checking Cocoa for sludge, we did an abdominal ultrasound and got an excellent view.

You know what SmartyPants went through. He was 4.5 years old and bounced back better than anyone expected. A good surgeon is the most important thing in stone removal, IMO.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:27 am

Miss Sakura and I are grateful for the well wishes. :)

Sakura is scheduled for surgery next Tuesday, May 4th.

They want to keep her overnight. I have already told them that she will come home with me, since they do not have staff onsite overnight. (Critical cases are transferred to a 24-hour emergency hospital.)

Dr. Wright mentioned that if her ovaries have large cysts that he will remove those at the same time.

Is it common to combine surgeries?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:06 am

I don't have any experience with combined procedures -- my vet was reluctant to remove Sebastian's last stone and his tumor at the same time due to the length of time that he would have to be "under," plus blood loss. But then, his health wasn't the greatest by then, either.

Keeping you and Sakura in my thoughts. Here's to an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery, Sakura! :}

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:37 am

Hmm, I've never had a combined surgery either. My vet is always concerned with "getting in and getting out" so that they're not under longer than necessary.

I absolutely agree with bringing her home. Lots of positive thoughts for her surgery and recovery.