Sakura - Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:39 am

Given Sef's comment, you might ask about how long the surgery would take and bring this up. I imagine he will be monitoring Miss Sakura and hopefully would be able to make a good call on it.

Good wishes here!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 pm

On the Estimate for Surgery sheet, the doctor estimated 30 minutes for the Cystotomy Surgery, and 20 additional minutes for the Spay.

I hope that she doesn't need the spay.

Miss Sakura is still enjoying her veggies and hay, and is suspicious of anything that comes in a syringe. I've discovered that she likes cranberry juice, so now I am mixing her Vitamin C tablets with water and cranberry juice.

LainLockey

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 pm

That stone is huge, poor girl. I really hope all goes well for Sakura. Sending positive juju your way.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:42 pm

The bladder and ovaries are not super close to each other. In the same general neighborhood, but still. I see the vet's point but 50 minutes under is a long time and that's going to be a lot of beat-up, very sore tissue in there.

I am going to mumble and hope her ovaries are in reasonably good shape. How experienced a surgeon is Dr. Wright? Has he done this one-two before and if so, how often and what were the outcomes?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Very happy to hear Miss Sakura still enjoys her yumyums and condemns suspicious syringes, always a great sign. :)

*ninja vibes*

Yuugi

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:47 am

Hoping for the best for miss Sakura! She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful name !

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 12:49 am

Fingers crossed for good results on Tuesday.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 12:36 am

Traci, just want to send Miss Sakura and you some ninja vibes before going to bed.
We hope everything will go as smoothly as possible, and Sakura would be recovering comfily with you at the end of day.
Sending you much love.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 12:47 am

Keeping you and Sakura in my thoughts! Lots of paws crossed from my babies.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 9:32 am

Well-wishes and more good vibes from me and the boys. :)

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 am

Thinking of you both!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 6:30 pm

All the good thoughts certainly helped!

Things turned out differently than planned, thank goodness.

We did not have surgery today.

Sakura has been leaving many non-gritty deposits in the cage all week. I always feel each one, and thought that they weren't anything to be concerned about, since they were not gritty.

Apparently, they are sludge/debris.

I mentioned this to the vet this morning, before surgery preparations. I also asked for a follow-up x-ray or ultrasound before surgery, just to see what was going on with her bladder.

Dr. Wright took an x-ray, which showed that the large mass is smaller (when compared to the previous x-ray).

Next, he performed an ultrasound, which showed that instead of one large stone/mass, there are some tiny stones, sludge and an irritated and thickened bladder wall.

This is a photograph of one of the ultrasound still pictures, so the quality isn't very good.
x1 to the lower x shows one thickened bladder wall.
x2 to the upper x shows the top thickened bladder wall.

Dr. Wright thinks that she can pass the tiny stones if her bladder wall is healthier. The Metacam is obviously helping.

So, now I have been instructed on how to give subcutaneous fluids.

Miss Sakura did not think very highly of this. I have the bruise on my arm to prove it.

Dr. Wright discontinued the Bactrim (he felt that if the bladder wall hasn’t healed after taking Bactrim twice a day since March, we should try something else).

I now have 14 pre-filled syringes of Amikacin to give her by injection, once a day. The vet tech showed me how to inject it, right after the sub-q is done. I am not looking forward to this, but I keep reminding myself that it is much better than surgery.

Miss Sakura, enjoying the sunshine in the car: