Boarding at Vet - Good or bad experiences?

Bravado

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 am

Just wondering if people have had good or bad experiences leaving their piggies with their (trusted) vet while going away.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am

I've had good experiences. My petsitter (my mom) is really uncomfortable caring for piggies. I've boarded them at both my vets, here and back in Virginia. The biggest "problem" I've had is getting them to tell me if they prefer me to bring a pet store cage or if they should can go in a cage there.

You should call the vet and ask for some details before you commit. Things like cost, do you bring your own food, what about veggies. You are well within your rights to tour the boarding facility before hand.

I'd love to find a professional pet sitter though, so the guinea pig can stay in his proper C&C cage and I don't have to keep asking my mom for favors. I keep asking around and no one knows anybody!

Bravado

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 am

Cost was very inexpensive and the vet indicated they had all supplies and constantly had fresh veggies on hand. I know they use carefresh & oxbow. I definitely have confidence that they will be treated well and treated right - just more general concern in the change in environment and the fact that it's still someone outside of you or your family giving them full attention.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Pigs care far less than dogs who cares for them. My experience is they don't even miss you until you come back and have the "hey it's YOUUUUU!" moment. They're generally cool with who ever brings the snacks.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

When I have to leave Kumar or Fiona, they go to my vet for boarding. It's better for everyone's sanity since they both have special needs. I have a sitter for everyone else.

My experience has been fantastic. They are spoiled rotten and like rshevin said, don't care about me until I'm back. Kumar runs the place when he's there and he gets away with far too much in their care.

Seriously, I feel better leaving these particular pigs with the vet where I'm sure their needs are being tended to. I can call and get updates or emails. There are certain places that are far too loud though due to other animals, that might be something to consider if you can check the boarding area.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Piggy was like Kumar at my vet in Virginia. I used to wonder why they always had such a high weight for him on the chart (they weighed them while boarding). The staff was giving him critter berries every day!

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:28 pm

At my vet, they have room for the 2x5 CC and they have a 24 hour surveillance and music. Talk about the good life :)

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 1:01 am

I guess you can't tell if you aren't there to see everything, but mine seem to do well and the vet's staff makes a lot of fuss over them.

One I was a little nervous about wasn't a vet -- my main concern was they were confused about the billing, but it was only few days.

pig wrangler
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon May 03, 2010 12:59 pm

As far as care goes, I have had excellent experiences with boarding at my vet. They chart feeding, cleaning, special play time, and weight. The place is also very clean and the staff really love guinea pigs. My problem is the cost.

Even with the volume discount, I have found it cheaper to buy plane tickets for a couple relatives, and pay them to watch the pigs.

They get a paid vacation in San Diego, I get pig/house sitters and save a few hundred dollars.

Bravado

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 am

Just an update that everything went totally fine during the weekend at the vet! Thanks for all the positive posts.