Scruffles medical thread

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:14 am

Sigh.. well I guess that brings my bills over £1000 since january. What a great year, 2010. ugh.

So we'll take her in again. Have to anyway as she started peeing blood again..

When Pippin had cysts they did a hysterectomy, so I'm guessing that would be the ultimate procedure to keep in mind.

Fingers crossed it's not cysts!

Also, her front incisors have gone funny. I swear there's something not quite right. I'll see if I can get a good photo of 'm. the bottom ones seem slanted to the right and have been chipping in places :(

Brainerror

Post   » Sun May 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Well she has stopped having bloody urine at long frikking last. We will still see the vet next week to check on her ovaries, but she has perked up somewhat.

She has however stopped eating bellpepper/capsicum, which she used to enjoy.

Is change in taste a sign of hormonal imbalance too? She still eats everything else.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun May 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Not usually to my understanding ... but it is in humans, so perhaps.

I tend to think it may, however, have more to do with possible dental problems. I'm sure you're just thrilled to hear that. But. Given slanted front incisors, have the vet take a look at her teeth and weigh her pretty regularly in the meantime.

Brainerror

Post   » Mon May 03, 2010 7:13 am

She's on her lowest weight at 1,007kg at the moment. I'm also worried it might be a dental problem as her bite is very weak.

Normally she shreds lettuce out of my hand, but now she bites and lets it slip from between her incisors :/

She also craves bread! not sure what this could indicate, but whenever we eat anything bready near her she goes mental & will actually climb to the person who's eating bread to get it. really bizarre. I know bread isn't good for them though.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Needs her teeth checked.

*sigh* on your behalf.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri May 14, 2010 6:20 am

Scruffles is going in for a urine analysis and cytology on the Sunday. Her bottom incisor is twisted & rough which the vet reckons is metabolic.

She's quite worried that she has lost so much weight (it was way down at 929 grams yesterday).

No signs of cysts - hurrah!

She's also on a med to repair and strengthen her bladder wall. We won't put her on antibiotics until this urine culture has been done & we know exactly what it is.

handfeeding her lots of CC to keep her weight up, but thus far it doesn't seem to be working.
Any foods you can recommend we feed lots of besides hay/pellets/CC & veg?

Brainerror

Post   » Fri May 14, 2010 6:44 am

ps, her molars were fine :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 14, 2010 9:12 pm

You can try: steel-cut oats; corn (in very small quantities); organic sunflower seeds (shelled, just the part inside). Some of our pigs have liked some of these.

Caveat!! All of these foods are higher in fats and/or carbohydrates than their systems are designed to process, which is why they can help with weight gain, but they can also cause gassiness leading to bloat. Be very careful and feed very small quantities if you try it at all.

Can the vet palpate her chin, neck and throat thoroughly? I begin to wonder about hyperthyroidism. A benign thyroid tumor is a possibility, as is hyperthyroidism. The latter can be checked into using a T4 blood test, but it's a "special order" test (at least here in the US) and requires more blood than the standard panel.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 15, 2010 12:06 am

Those foods are also low in calcium and have a poor calcium phosphorus ratio. You would not feed them long.

Brainerror

Post   » Sun May 16, 2010 9:19 am

Today her weight is 0,995! She also seems a lot brighter, is eating more and hasn't been passing blood.

the med to repair her bladder wall is glucosamine and seems to have great effect.

I'm so happy to see some improvement at long last.

We're about to drop her off at the vets and she'll stay there overnight so they can do the urine collection (straight from the bladder),culture & cytology tomorrow.

Hopefully we'll have a clear answer on tuesday the earliest!

Brainerror

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 7:19 am

Don't you love it when different lab techs tell you different things? Looks like we won't have results until next week now.

In the meantime Scruffles has perked up tremendously :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 19, 2010 8:59 am

Good news about the perking up!