Baxter's med thread

zazzified

Post   » Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Thank you, Talishan. (I am so grateful that you always respond, by the way! I feel as though you and Lynx are my interweb sources of reason on here.) I just sent an email over to Pinta to see what she thinks and check whether she has any nuggets of wisdom from personal experience. I do want to see what she says but will plan to check with the vet tomorrow. Thankfully he ate a bunch of veggies today so I'm very proud of him for being a trooper.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon May 03, 2010 10:12 pm

You're quite welcome. The internet is the only place I'm a source of reason, though, I think. Ask my husband sometime. ;-)

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon May 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Fingers crossed for Baxter!

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks!

Unfortunately my regular vet doesn't have openings until the 14th. I made the appointment but I'm going to call again first thing in the morning because the girls who work in the morning seem to always be able to squeeze me in for my vet's Friday surgery day the week of.

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Now I'm noticing that there may be an odor. Infection? If so, is it still ok to have the teeth trimmed ASAP or would an infection need to be treated first?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 9:29 pm

If the trim will help her eat, I would do so but still take care of the infection.

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Ok, just wanted to make sure there isn't a need to do a course of antibiotics prior to going through a trim. I think it's quite urgent that he have the teeth trimmed, so if I can do that while starting a course of ABs that's ideal.

I think I have both Baytril and Bactrim... will have to check expiration dates. If I do have both, though, which should I use for a potential oral infection?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 9:47 pm

See what your vet has to say. I think the trim would be pretty important though. Consult with the vet on using antibiotics (or try Bactrim).

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 pm

I love my vet so, so, so much. It's 10:20 PM here and I missed her call because I was getting ready to head to bed, but she just left me a voicemail saying she can squeeze him in this Thursday to do a trim if I can do that and she's holding the spot for me to confirm with her tomorrow morning.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

How has he tolerated Baytril in the past?

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with Lynx on the AB. Baytril will generally do a better job on oral abscesses (if that's what it is, hopefully not) in my experience. HOWEVER ... if there's any question of how well Baxter can tolerate it, go with Bactrim (in the absence of immediate veterinary instruction).

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 pm

He has tolerated it well in the past. Some loss of appetite, but within normal weight fluctuations.

I can't feel any bumps or lumps, so I'm hoping it's not an abscess... but of course I wouldn't necessarily feel it. If it is one, is the normal procedure to aggressively treat with antibiotics and lance if possible to avoid having to do extensive surgery? That's the impression I'm getting on here. And if there seems to be an on and off odor, does this indicate an advanced infection/abscess formation?

How realistic is it that ABs will knock it out?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 pm

In my experience *only* ...

1. "is the normal procedure to aggressively treat with antibiotics and lance if possible to avoid having to do extensive surgery?"

Yes. Lance, flush, clean more than once if they can't work a drain from the outside. This is what happened to our Littletan.

2. "And if there seems to be an on and off odor, does this indicate an advanced infection/abscess formation?"

Not sure. Kallie has become our de facto expert. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear that ;-), but she might have good insight on this. I never noticed a strong bad odor with LT.

3. "How realistic is it that ABs will knock it out?"

In my experience -- mumble. ABs can certainly *contain* it (what happened to LT). They may knock it out. They may not be able to do so completely.