Baxter's med thread

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks. If ABs contain it but don't eliminate it, will I just find that out after stopping ABs and then have to consider extensive surgery?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 pm

" ... will I just find that out after stopping ABs ... "

Basically, yes, but ...

" ... then have to consider extensive surgery?"

... don't assume that before you get there. There may be other options your vet can offer you for Baxter that I have no idea of.

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:00 pm

I certainly hope so. Thanks (again!) for your help. My poor pigs, I think I'm a bad luck pig parent or something.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 pm

You're not (unless we all are). They're an admittedly hard species to treat medically and care for (medically) well.

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Yeah, this year it just seems like one thing after the next after the next after the next after the next... I think my friends are starting to suspect munchausen by proxy.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Nah, you're not allowed. PooksiedAnimals has it before you (see Willow's thread). ;-)

zazzified

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:14 pm

Ha, I actually just read that thread!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 11:30 pm

[p.s. I'd be happy to have you take Talishan's advice over mine!]

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 12:31 am

Yours is still the safer course without a vet's input, though, for others who might read this thread.

zazzified

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 9:54 am

I just confirmed his appointment with the front desk, so he'll thankfully be getting checked out and have his trim tomorrow morning. Phew.

zazzified

Post   » Thu May 06, 2010 12:55 pm

I am so, so relieved. The vet just called and he had no ulcers or abscesses or signs of infection, just quite elongated back molars. He is still in the early stages of waking back up but I can pick him up in an hour or so.

This is gross, but I think the slight odor I was noticing before was food he wasn't completely chewing and getting down :\ I read some threads on here where people talked about a VERY strong odor and this was nothing like that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 06, 2010 3:01 pm

I wonder if sometimes gently flushing his mouth might help - encouraging more water drinking.

Glad to hear there is no sign of infection.