Urine Specific Gravity

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:56 pm

How can your vet tell you what's normal if there aren't any data on pigs? This is what Mel os trying to collect.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:54 pm

So, should I ask her what the figures are for Elsie if she extrapolated them from cats/dogs figures?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:08 pm

I thought there were figures but people (like Josephine and Pinta) didn't know if they were very accurate. I don't know how they were determined. Some cavy nutritional vitamin requirements are extrapolated from rats rather than cats and dogs.

Jill

Post   » Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:56 pm

Pig has had hers checked three times at age 5 years.

July 1.010
August 1.010
September 1.007

I took her in in July because she had been peeing a lot. The vet is telling me kidney failure.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:55 am

I copied this from a website to help us understand the specific gravity issue. This is about cats/dogs but apparently can be applied to guinea pigs. It seems to agree with the way my vet explained it to me:

[copyrighted material removed -- when it is longer than a few sentences or a paragraph, you need to provide a link or paraphrase the material (I try to avoid having people post anything that could be construed as copyright infringement). A link would have been helpful anyway to aid in evaluating how good the information is and where it came from -- Lynx]

ThatKat

Post   » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:04 pm

I just want to say that I will bring George (my elderly piggy who the vet says has kidney disease) to work with me tomorrow and check his SG. He is on SQ fluids right now - 25 cc's a day. Then I can also take my healthy piggy Buddy and check his, too. That will be next week, though.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:53 am

The information I had posted just explained what my vet explained to me.

Normally functioning kidneys either dilute urine (low specific gravity) or they concentrate urine (higher specific gravity). The readings that are in between indicate kidneys are not functioning properly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:32 am

Really? Goes to show I have no understanding of how kidneys work. I would have thought the opposite. Thanks for the clear sentence explaining that.

ThatKat

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:59 pm

Ok... Georgie's SG was 1.015. He's elderly and has kidney disease and is on 25 cc's of SubQ fluids daily. Good news - he has gained 25 grams since I started the fluids! Still skinny though - 640 grams.

Oh yeah... forgot to mention. Doc says he has never seen a pig with a SG lower than 1.010, but that's just him.

melcvt00

Post   » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:14 am

I might be taking my two to work with me on Friday just for a visit. If I'm not horribly busy, I'll try to get a SG on both of them. It will be interesting to see what concentration 2 young, healthy pigs have.

lisam

Post   » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:00 am

Artoo's today was 1.01. He was in for weight loss, possibly calcium related.

ThatKat

Post   » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:53 pm

Ok....I almost forgot. A while ago I took one of my female fosters in to check her urine since I noticed a tiny bit of red discharge. Everything looked great. I think her SG was 1.030. I THINK. Might have been 1.020. But I'm really thinking 1.030.