Baxter's med thread

zazzified

Post   » Thu May 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeah, I started trying that this morning. Seemed to help some.

He's home now and WIPED OUT. Little guinea pig zombie. I hope that he brightens up soon. He doesn't look sick, he just looks pooped. I'm going to try offering some lettuce but I don't think he's going to go for it yet.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Just so you don't think you can get away without having anything to worry about ... has he ever exhibited any sign of being a potential heart pig?

Very seriously now, I'm glad to hear he came through well and there's nothing more major wrong than what was. They might have had to keep him under for quite a while to get the planing right. He could also possibly have a heart compromise IMO.

zazzified

Post   » Fri May 07, 2010 8:22 am

I can't believe I'm really saying this and it hasn't really properly sunk in at all, but Baxter passed away last night after I took him into the emergency center for respiratory distress. They had him on oxygen and he looked so much better when I went to tell him goodnight while they kept him on oxygen throughout the night until the exotics department could look at him this morning. About an hour later, they called to tell me he had a seizure and passed away. I am just devastated and in total shock. I can tell Jeeves and I both still somehow expect to pick him up today at the vet. It's unreal.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri May 07, 2010 9:42 am

I am so terribly sorry. Take some comfort in knowing that you did everything possible for him.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri May 07, 2010 9:55 am

I'm so sorry. Rest well sweet Baxter.

zazzified

Post   » Fri May 07, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks guys. I can't help but beat myself up and think that maybe when I tried to feed him I made him inhale it or something and it's all my fault.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 am

You're just playing the same "what if" game we've all done. You know these little creatures are very fragile. I seriously doubt anything you did contributed to his passing. Please don't beat yourself up. You are a GREAT piggy mom and Baxter knew how much he was loved.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 07, 2010 11:53 am

Oh, zazzified, I am so terribly sorry you lost him. I know you did the best you could and am so sorry he didn't recover. He was indeed much loved.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri May 07, 2010 1:13 pm

He was very much loved. And he will be missed.

He's scampering on the rainbow bridge.

zazzified

Post   » Fri May 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Thank you all. It's comforting to know that people understand that these little guys still squeak their way to our hearts.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 am

Oh, zazzified, I am so terribly sorry :(( *hugs*

RIP handsome Baxter! Enjoy the Rainbow Bridge sweetie, there are lots and lots of veggies there and no pain!

Brenda B

Post   » Sat May 08, 2010 12:24 am

zazz, I am so sorry to hear this! You are an amazing piggy mum! It is so normal to question our course of action, but don't do it! You ALWAYS do the best for your pigs!
Give Jeeves extra scritches from me and a big hug for you!