Panqueca - Medical Thread

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sun May 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi! Panqueca is a female, 955gr weight, about 2 years old. She was a gift from a friend in July 2008. I believe she had one or two months old when she came to me.

The only health problems she had until now been a fungal infection on the face (cheek) and lice (she came from a petshop).

For some time I have been noticing that her eyes are a little different: the white part underneath is more apparent. It looks the same in both eyes (pea eye?), but sometimes they looks just normal.

Today I took a picture of the left eye, where I noticed a small stain too. I'd like to take your opinion about it. Should I be concerned? Is this normal? Can anything be done? She does not seem bothered. Thank you all!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 09, 2010 5:29 pm

Is the "stained" part reddish? Does it look at all inflamed? The eye otherwise looks more or less okay to me but I don't recall conjuctiva looking like the stained area. I imagine you checked out the eye page and the great pics in the Records forum? (linked to in the eye page).

I am guessing pea eye too.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sun May 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks Lynx for reply! The stained part doesn't look reddish or inflamed. Looks brownish (like the eye color), and I see it's present in both eyes.

I saw the pictures in the eye page, don't found nothing this way. I took pictures of the other eye.

Another picture of left eye (she's looking up):

The right eye looking to front:

The right eye looking up:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Your first photo is exceptionally clear and crisp. Let me know if you'd like it permanently added to your thread.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sun May 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Sure, you can add the photo.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks!

Let us know if the eye changes or the white part becomes reddened.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Ditto Lynx, especially the "becomes reddened" part.

I have this vague recollection of seeing things like this before ... either in our own pigs or in photos on the board. It looks almost like the color in the iris of the eye is somehow leaking. I don't think it does that, of course, but it's not otherwise a problem or concern.

Changes or turning red would certainly be cause for a vet visit, though, IMO.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks very much, Lynx and Talishan!

I'll be observant. If the eyes has any changes, I'll post here and take her to the vet.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Today I took my two girls for exams. Last week I took Panqueca to the the vet as routine, because I wanted to know especially about her teeth.

Today she did an x-ray of the skull to see the molars (without sedation).

And this is her x-ray:

The report says there is a small growth of the molars, favoring malocclusion. (?)
It also says "increased radiodensity overlapped the auditory bullae and petrous (otitis?)".

She will return to the vet on Monday night. But until then, I wonder if anyone has any idea if it's okay, or if I should be worry. She is apparently fine.
Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Sorry I can't help you on their observations! At least the roots don't look elongated.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:05 pm

I just got back from the vet. She saw the X-ray, and said she has a little bit of malocclusion, but nothing that has to be done. :)

About "otitis" likely, she said it probably appeared because of the way the x-ray was done (she did compared to the x-ray of Pantufinha). She examined her ear, and just had a bit of wax. She indicated a product to clean the ear (called "Cerumin", human use: borate 8 - Hydroxyquinoline
Triethanolamine).

Despite the little bit of malocclusion, I'm happy that my girl is fine!

Thanks Lynx for always being so helpful with everyone.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:40 pm

I only wish I knew more!

But then, I might be working ;-)