Petco Contact Numbers for Sick Animals Purchased There

jul312

Post   » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:24 pm

I recently had an experience of finding a dead guinea pig in a cage at Petco, Waterworks Plaza, Fox Chapel, PA.

I filed complaints with Petco and with PETA, and on Tuesday, July 6th, 2004, the District Manager and the Regional Companion Animal Coordinator for the Pittsburgh area contacted me regarding my complaint.

After a lengthy discussion, the final conclusion was that if I ever found a problem with health or food issues regarding animals in the Petco stores, I could contact these two gentlemen and they promised to investigate. We'll see.

I also told them that I would be passing on their phone numbers to anyone else who needed to contact them about the same issues. Their request was to not post it on the forum, but that it was permitted to give out the numbers by request.

Even if you don't live in the Pittsburgh area, I'm sure these two gentlement would be able to give you the proper phone numbers to reach a representative in your area.

Anyone wishing to contact Petco can email me at the email listed in my profile and I will return your email ASAP (with the exception of the week of July 11 thru July 18, when I will be on vacation).

babybutterscotch

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:11 pm

I just bought Butterscotch around 12.08.05 from Petco in Glendale, CA. After I got him home I found out he had mites. I am in contact with a rescue in Southern California and I got the medication for his mites from them. Then after reading somemore and talking to a few people, I started to realize that his breathing wasen't the way it should be, so I called PETCO and they told me that in order for them to pay for his vet bills that I would have to return him to them and that they would take him to there vet. Petco is in Glendale and they would have to take him to Pasadena where there vet is. Then after he was seen they would take him back to glendale to sit in there back room and get better so that they could resale him again. I couldn't stand the though of him having to sit there all alone, so I did the best I could and found a vet that I could aford and took him in. He has a URI and mites. He was put on Baytril and I am hand feeding him and giving him as much love and attention as possible. I would have never bought him ( I was and am still going to adopt from the rescue or a shelter) but he was so sad all alone.
Petco sold him to me sick. I also found out that the vet only comes out once a week and they only take the animals to the vet if someone notices that they are sick enough. I would love to know who I could contact to complain about there "protocol" on sick pets. I don't think that you should have to return them inorder for petco to pay for the animals treatment. It really upset me. I was also in a Petco in Fountain Valley this weekend and one of the piggies there looked sicker than my Butterscotch and no one was around the guinea pig area at all. I think that everyone should adopt but also those poor piggies in PETCO's and PETSMARTS need homes as well or we need to make it so that PETCO and PETSMART cant have them for sale anymore. Any number that you can give me or anyone I can get in contact with would be greatly appreciated. My heart goes out to all those who need homes and loving care.
Thanks,
Mandi
luckyducky_2@netzero.com

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:41 pm

Those pigs come from pet mills. If you buy them, they just order more and two more take their place and the animals in the mills continue to suffer.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm

Most of their animals are sold sick or pregnant.

It is an endless cycle. You have to choose not to participate by being a customer, no matter how well meaning. Meanwhile, pigs are sitting on death row. They are the ones that need homes.

If you see a sick animal, find a manager, contact corporate.

You can make a big stink with Petco corporate. Save all your vet bills and make them reimburse you. Make it unprofitable for them to sell animals and do not shop there.

They would rather shut you up than not pay.

babybutterscotch

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:45 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I will save all my vet bills and also go to corporate. I am going to be adopting a friend for Butterscotch once he get better, and maybe even another pair.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:23 pm

This happens over and over again. Petco is a big problem.

bhiggs

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:59 pm

Petco paid $700 to reimburse me for my vet bills from my boy's bordatella (which caused a bunch of URIs before we could identify it). Make sure you make them pay. If we make it enough of a pain in the butt to sell animals, maybe they will stop.

dmppiggie

Post   » Sun May 09, 2010 7:34 pm

.oops

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun May 09, 2010 8:48 pm

I got Junior, my 3-4 yr old boar from PetCo in Dec 2007. He was very sick, would not eat, and had lice. I brought him back for treatment, found out that was a big mistake, and demanded him back to be treated by my vet. I was told very nastily that they would not pay for my vet treatment. I contacted the regional manager and was promptly reimbursed and apologized to. I learned alot from that experience. I will never buy a pet again. Junior spent several days at my vet and was a new pig when I brought him home. He is my biggest pig now.

bassplayer7

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 10:38 pm

I got mine from PetSmart in early March (2010). Butter has had severe URI and a few other problems since then. Should I try to get reimbursed for my vet bills?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Yes. Make it unprofitable for them to sell animals.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Don't take no for an answer. Keep pushing and they will pay.

Jennicat

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Petsmart likely won't pay. They usually cite their 10 day contract and their managers will write you off VERY quickly. That's what happened with my very first pigs (oh so long ago).