How to bend a cage grid?

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 2:32 pm

So I've purchased some more grids for extending the pig cage for when Peggy arrives on 22nd May. I was going to extend it to a 3x3 cage (as thats as much room as I can accomodate for atm) and make a ramp up to a top hayloft, which I will line with a sort of coroplast box to keep things neat.

I saw a couple of people have bent the grids to make a ramp up to the top level. How do you go about doing this? They seem like pretty sturdy pices of metal!! :)

Feylin

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 2:38 pm

You want to find the side WITHOUT the little weld. You can run your fingers around it and feel the bump. That side needs to stay straight....so do your bending on the other sides.

I just put my foot on the grid about where i want it bent, and slowly pull up with my hand. Sometimes I have to pull it up in stages.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Have you never hurt yourself by doing that?

I'm pretty clumsy so I'm betting I'd break a toe or the like :P

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 2:55 pm

You definitely have to have tennis shoes on or something.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Maybe I need to get my husband to do it? :D

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 3:02 pm

Nah, you can do it! I have broken one and successfully bent them as well and I didn't get hurt either time.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 3:08 pm

I tried to move a shelf at the weekend when the husband was at work, and succeeded in dropping it on myself lol I have a big bruise on my arm, I'm very accident prone :P

I'll give it a go though, the new stuff hasn't arrived yet anyways, delivery on Wednesday, and I have to pop to the sign shop and purchase some more coroplast too.

Feylin

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 7:52 pm

Oh, I assumed youd' be wearing shoes. :P

Yes, it works quite well.

Kitsufox

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:05 am

I used a 1x2 furring strip of wood, and put that across the grid and stood on it to hold it down, and then gently, slowly pulled my grids into the position I wanted them. The slower you go, the less damage you'll do to the grids. and yes ;) watch the placement of that weld.

The strip of wood gave me a nice strait bend, but it's not strictly necessary.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 1:23 pm

I'll give it a go :) Been and bought the coroplast this evening and the grids are getting delivered tomorrow, so Thursday evening should be good for expansion and Hayloft making lol

momofpigs

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 4:30 pm

My dern grids were suppose to be here today from B&B thats what online tracking said. Than today I checked and it says they will be here FRIDAY. I called Fedex having a cow, and they blamed it on B&B. I shouldn't complain its cheaper than walmart. But it is taking almost 2 weeks to get them.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 3:21 am

Its the one thing that annoys me momofpigs, how blase the delivery companies are about your parcel! Its like, I paid for it, and you guys are getting more use out of it than I am!!