Organic Bamboo Cotton Fleece?

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 pm

I was going threw ebay looking at fleece, thinking about getting some new stuff for the girls and I came across this:

Ebay Bamboo Cotton Fleece

I was wondering if anyone has used this and what people think.
Would it be safe to use like normal fleece?

Kat

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 pm

I've used a 100% bamboo batting in guinea pig sacks, beds etc instead of synthetic batting before and it works really well. I especially like that it's anti-bacterial.

As for the bamboo + cotton fleece, I'm no expert, but I think it really has to be polyester to wick properly. I don't think that natural fibres wick like polyester fleece.

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 pm

No, that's going to be absorbent of it's made of cotton and bamboo (think like a fleece college sweatshirt). It's a different kind of fleece. It might be able to replace your towels though.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks, I was wondering what it would be like.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Uh, oh. I just ordered some organic heavy fleece from Near Sea Naturals and paid quite a bit for it. Rats!!!!

Feylin

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Is it really antimicrobal?

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 pm

I don't know Feylin. Its what they are saying but really one never knows for sure. But I would think it is if they are saying it is.

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:40 pm

Feylin, I keep hearing bamboo is naturally antimicrobial. I also keep not believing it.

Judi, I'm sure you can still make some use out of it. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it can replace towels.

jedifreac

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 11:50 pm

We've used bamboo towels for the absorbent part of the fleece set up before. I like the idea of the antimicrobial (they say that in knitter's circles, too) but I don't know if it's true.

Kat

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 1:57 am

I tried looking this up, and found it hard to find unbiased sources. I did, however, find this article: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01 ... eets_k.php

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 am

Great find Kat, now I'm thinking maybe I should pick some sheets for the family on top of the piggies.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 am

Just an update. I ordered some wonderful heavy organic fleece from http://www.nearseanaturals.com. Beautiful stuff. Shrank like the dickens so I didn't order enough, but.... the darn stuff doesn't absorb AT ALL. In fact, the pee puddles on the top! I tried turning it over - same thing. It is not treated in any way, so go figure. 6 yards of expensive organic cotton fleece. I think I will make a lounge outfit with the 4 yards I didn't use. The other is already stained after 2 uses. Sigh...