Sakura - Medical Thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Ha! Snerk, snerk, snerk. Do I get my radiology degree yet? :-)))

The subcues will help. They will not be fun for either of you, but they will help, they did one of ours with a similar (not identical, but somewhat similar) condition. What gauge needles have they given you, for both sq and the Amikacin?

Ask about piroxicam (pain med related to meloxicam that Becky used for Chippy).

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Me so happy, yes yes, Talishan gets a Radiology Papers and momo gets to be the Certified Ninja Viber! :p

Ahhh, the joys of sub'Q.
Just so that you know, Sakura will be grumpy and nippy when you whip out those needles.
I use a 25g needle for the sub'Q, and it works great for me, I am not sure if that is a standard or it's just what I received.

You should be proud of yourself, your observations and insistence for a follow up X-ray paid off.
Happy news! :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Avoiding surgery is great! I hope your new protocol works and that Sakura is not too mad at you!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 am

I think the sub-q needles are 22 gauge. I can't find any markings on the needles for the Amikacin yet, but they are tiny compared to the sub-q needles.

Originally, I was instructed to give all of the 60cc fluid at once. After doing some reading here and getting Momo's advice, I'm going to split them into two sessions of 30cc each.

Sakura received all 60cc at once while at the vet's office, and she looked very "puffy" for quite a long time.

Talishan, thank you very much for your suggestion of bladder sludge (after looking at Sakura's x-ray). Sakura and I owe you one. :)

khb1582

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 am

Yay for no surgery!! What about Shillintong? It really seems to help my boys pass sludge at times. And my boys take it as a treat so it's not a hassle to give.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 am

Hooray for no surgery!!!! If you can get 23g butterfly sets for the subcue, she'll love you for it (or at least, hate you slightly less). I also use 25g, but they're harder to find.

egustavson

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 pm

My vet said that if you use the larger needles the subcues go faster, so the pig is in discomfort from the fluid going in a shorter time. I used 25 gauge needles because I couldn't bear to stick Sylvester with the larger needles. I have almost a full box of needles left and I can mail some to you to try.

I hope the subcues help.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Miss Sakura may have a different opinion of my assistance in her case once you stick her. ;-)

Ditto Sef. I'd want 23 g. 22's will hurt her and she will let you know. Yes, it goes faster and they don't feel the stick but once; it's not like us. But it's gonna be a more painful stick.

25's will be the most comfortable but you have to push really hard for the fluid to go in and it takes forEVER to infuse a small amount. If you're going to do this twice a day, they'll be more comfortable for her but be prepared for it to take quite a while each time.

You want butterfly sets regardless. The vets put the needle on the end of a big honking syringe, warm the fluids, grab the pig and stick. It's over with quickly and the very upset cavy usually forgets pretty quickly. I've never been able to do that at home. I need the flexibility of the tubing on a butterfly.

If she's reasonably comfortable with 23 g, try the 22. It'll go faster. I've been able to use a 22 on our toughest pigs.

Try not to stick her in the same place each time. You're looking at subcues possibly twice a day as well as the AB. Scar tissue will build up, not to mention irritating the spot. Try to rotate her injection sites ... a little more over one shoulder, a little more over another; up closer to her head, a little further down toward her back.

You can infuse them over the hip but I've never done it successfully, so can't advise.

If it were me I'd not shoot for more than 30 to 35 cc's at a time. Our pig with a similar condition was given 65 or 70 a couple of times by the vet. It really hurt her and she became terrified of being picked up after this. I've had vets tell me that only ER's push 60+ at one time and that in the case of severe dehydration. FWIW.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 pm

It has been 5 long days.
Do we have any updates on Miss Sakura?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 10, 2010 10:27 pm

I hope the surgery went well!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 am

She had no surgery! :-) Lotsa tiny tiny stones and sludge -- Rx subcues (such fun).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 11, 2010 6:58 am

egustavson--do you have a good source for the 25g butterflies? My local med supply place has closed and I haven't been able to find the smaller gauge at a decent price anywhere online.